No announcement yet.

New build Derbyshire, Uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really shaping up quite nicely. What I would do to have access to those stones.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

A barrel arch oven should really have its end walls built under the vault rather than beside it. As the vault expands it tends to want to push the end walls out. This is more of a problem with kiln design, because of the higher temps involved, but the same principle applies with an oven. You may want to consider some steel bracing. Usually angle iron and threaded rod is the normal method.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David, I should be able to get some bracing incorporated.

Comment

Build is comming on fine and will be well hidden!! Realy like the way you have shoe horned this into an existing wall.
          Are you going to use a pipe to line the chimney? then build around it or are you building the chimney from stone the old way.

Comment

Hi Myke, latest photo here. Im not sure about the chimney yet. Initially I was going to use a chimney pipe but now I'm leaning more towards building one. I'll decide when I get a bit further up!! Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Incredibly time consuming trying to fit all the stones together. Not too far off the original line of the wall now. Another 2 weekends should just about do it!!

Comment

Blending in nice my favourate build on here

Comment

Thanks Myke, I now have a dilemma about the door. I bought a cast iron one to fit the opening but I'm not sure if it looks better without? I post pictures when I'm finished to see what you think. Cheers

Comment

Wall largely rebuilt, just needs a bit of touching up. Got roof of the oven to do next. I can smell pizzas coming!!

Comment

Nearly there. Had a good clean up and I've seeded the 'green' roof on the oven. In a few weeks it should be full of wild flowers. Starting the curing process next week then I can finally cook!!

Comment

Wow. one of the cooler builds I have seen. You've got quite an eye for design.

Do you have any concerns about water from your live roof leaking into the oven housing?
                        My build progress
                        My WFO Journal on Facebook
                        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thanks, I'm as sure as I can be that it's water tight. I have 5 barriers to entry!! 3 DPM sheets, lead roof and felt on top of that!

Comment

First firing went perfectly. Chimney working a treat. Just one problem, the neighbour has been round to say it's very smokey. Totally unreasonable in my opinion as this is the first time I have fired it up. It's not like they have had to put up with much.

Comment

From the pics, I can't tell much about your chimney. What is it's inside diameters. That white smoke hanging around low can be from several causes. A cold wet oven, weather conditions, green wood, insufficient draw etc. One thing that can help get the smoke up and away is building a hot fire in the entry first. You may have to keep it going while you are ramping up the oven fires. You may also have to increase the height of the chimney. If all else fails, promise your neghbor some food from the oven. An invite to a cook will work even better ..
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
                              X