Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my pompeii oven build

Started the build dug out the grass

Bricks mortered directly onto crushed limestone foundation (thats the same as my house so should stay up) tiles and sand/soill used to pack up the inner of the structure

Dry sand and cement mix leveled and covered over with visqueen before laying the paver

Paver in place this will be a base to store logs on.

Built up a few more courses

Started building a barbacue area

oven base will be aprox 44" wide and 52" long swings to be moved at a later date

Comment

well today was a good day sunshine all day so after getting my car mot'd I did a bit more

may do the slab if I get time tommorrow (got another job on in the am first

Comment

Great looking brickwork! Looking forward to seeing the oven! What size of oven will you be building?
        George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

I agree that is some nice looking brick work. Are you a brick layer or dine some in the past? If so the dome should be pretty easy for you. It is looking very nice and moving fast. I can't wait to see the rest go up.

Randy

Comment

Thanks for the comments but not a brick layer I am a mechanical/electrical engineer who does a lot of DIY last time I laid a brick was in the 90s and that was my first time!.
            As for the dome size unsure yet the top will be 1100 wide by 1300 deep (there will be a overhang at the front) so will put on whatever fits best.
            Was busy yesterday doing a job for my daughter and work becons tonight so updates will be next week sometime.
            I have made my chimney 8" stainless steel with a chinamans hat and also made an adjustable tool (indespensible tool) will post pics later
            Ps Just realised I lied I put 8 bricks under my step 2 years ago

Comment

Managed to build up a couple of layers and put on the pavers to make a base.

Also got some firebricks too 36 from a nice guy Called Paul (leftover from his build) 52 from a local advert and a huge pile of second hand ones from an old brickworks.

Comment

Whats going one? Another engineer, was JR, then Larry, and of course me, busting the stereo type that all engineers are nerds and can't be DIYers.

Free bricks and materials for reuse is good. I am the one of the scavengers on the forum. Nice base by the way. It would be nice if you can document your build in a continuous photo album, IE picassa.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Will do a write up of the complete build once all finished instead of drip feeding info . Will be a while tho as just got another 470 bricks delivered today making a barbi area and some workbench space.

Comment

Finally finished base brickwork

temporary fitted gas barbi in to test it fits

Back at work tomorrow night so will try and cast my oven base in the morning

Comment

Not sure what size oven you plan on, but be careful, once you add the insulation you still need some space to do the outer shell (presuming you are building an igloo style). When working into a corner this becomes doubly difficult.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The fence panel at the side can be removed to give a better work area. It still will be tight as the brick,insulation and outer shell will take up room as you say. will work out the oven size soon probibly will be 32" internally at a guess.
                        32internal + 4"+ 4" firebrick then 2"+ 2"ceramic insulation then a outer shell 1" + 1" = 46" the base is 49.52 wide so its tight .
                        Cast my base today I have 30mm of foam glass and 45mm of perlcrete as basic insulation. (the foam glass was free!!!!)

Comment

Free is good, foam Glas is very expensive and it is also waterproof and won't allow water to wick up.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Added another layer of brick put a 30mm layer of foam glass then filled with perlcrete.

decided on oven size of 32" so made my wooden base

laying out the firebrick base

All cutting done soaked bricks in water first to reduce dust (they are like sponges and bubble a bit in the bucket

Comment

bedded bricks onto base using sharp sand applying a bit of mortar at the edges

contained the base with a stainless steel strap (bandit)

Comment

Working...
                              X