Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mannextdoor WFO

Awesome!

Vent size sounds perfect. I don't think that there is a "too large" (draw wise) for the vent opening.

Congrads!

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by mannextdoor View Post
      For a guy that has never laid a brick, I don't think it looks to bad.
      Mannextdoor
      On the contrary, it looks like you've been doing this your whole life. Looks great. Congratulations. Interesting info on the HeatStop cure time.
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Congratulations, what a lovely dome! Beautiful brickwork, too, it looks very professionally done from where I'm sitting.

Good call on getting the info on the mortar, I look forward to seeing your first curing fires really soon....
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I think I have finished the brick work for the oven project. I have about 80 hours in it. I am looking at the 8” dura-vent for the stack. When you are looking down the throat of the chimney opening, you see part of the front arch. Do you think I could get away with taking a grinder to the front arch a little bit? The front arch is 3.5” thick now. If I could open it up a little bit, it would give me some more draw, with a smoother air flow.
          Last edited by mannextdoor; 11-02-2008, 06:43 PM. Reason: I said I had 40 hrs in the oven. It was 80 hrs.

Comment

Hm. I don't know whether it will improve it enough to make it worth it. It's pretty big there now. Maybe just a bit on the underside of the edge to smooth it off and encourage the smoke to go up? I did that on the oven side of the vent, but not on the outside. I do get a bit of smoke out the front on startup, but not much, and my oven's throat isn't as big as yours. And my chimney is 6", but my oven's a 36. I think the 8 is recommended for a 42.

Your oven's looking really good. You're almost there!
            Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

My oven is a 42”. I just checked on the chimney parts a few minutes ago. He is out at the moment. They are already on order and should be in on Monday.

Comment

Well Monday came and went. My chimney is back ordered until next Monday. Do you think it would be OK to start the curing fires without the chimney in place? I thought that I read some where in the forum that the insulation blankets should be on the oven before the cure. Is that a hard fast rule, or would it matter to fire without the insulation as well?

Comment

MND,

You can absolutely start your fire before a chimney is in place. The only down side I see, is that any soot that may build up, may compromise the mortar joint as you continue. In regard to the insulation, I brought up the fires from hell with out it. I looked at the cracks - very small - made another fire, not quite as hot. Nothing got worse, so I wrapped the puppy up. Just my experience.

Les...
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks les

What do you mean about the soot that may build up, may compromise the mortar joint as you continue? All your curing fires were before you insulated?

Comment

The fires will create soot - I don't think the mortar would adhere to it as well as clean brick / mortar. May be a non issue, just my thinking. I didn't have any curing fires - the first one I made, I went nuclear. My use of mortar on the oven was basically a shim. In the hot Nevada summer, with low humidity, it was pretty much cured in a week without any fire.

Les...
                      Check out my pictures here:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

My masonry work is finished, as far as the oven is concerned. Stainless steel chimney. Probably a stone arch in front of the oven. (Not connected)

Comment

Originally posted by mannextdoor View Post
                          I think I have finished the brick work for the oven project. I have about 40 hours in it. I am looking at the 8? dura-vent for the stack. When you are looking down the throat of the chimney opening, you see part of the front arch. Do you think I could get away with taking a grinder to the front arch a little bit? The front arch is 3.5? thick now. If I could open it up a little bit, it would give me some more draw, with a smoother air flow.
                          I wouldn't touch a thing...you have plenty of room for gas flow and those front bricks really don't see much action as the gases are usually sucked right up as soon as they leave the door...as elizabeth said you could smooth those bricks out if you wanted on the underside but you might do more harm than good trying grind that area off and it will be a proverbial "female dog" IMHO to get it nice and clean...
                          Best
                          Dutch
                          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

In regards to the firing without the insulation on, to me (an admitted novice ), it seems like a good idea because you can see what happens.

But from studying here (an admitted worrier ), I have seen some concerns about a potential temperature differential between the inside and outside of the dome if you fire without insulation, and the resulting thermal stresses and whatnot!

So is it like you can fire without insulation if it is not real cold outside, or what?

Just curious,
                            Travis
                            TravisNTexas

Comment

I was able to get my first firing done yesterday. I had a quartz work lamp in the oven for about 6 or 7 days prior to that. I kept the temperature around 200* for a couple of hours. I can't wait to get the chimney installed. There was a lot of smoke coming out the door.

Comment

The quartz lamp in the oven for a while sounds like a pretty good idea once the mortar has mostly cured and maybe even a better idea if it is getting down close to freezing even before the mortar has cured. Did you leave the door on when using the lamp, and did you check the temperature while the lamp was in there?

Travis
                                TravisNTexas

Comment

Working...
                                X