Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mannextdoor WFO

Wow, that looks fantastic!

How's the oven holding up, getting warm on the outside yet? When do you start cooking?...or are you going to wait until you can do pizza?

I shoved some bread rolls in there with my third fire... admittedly they needed turning regularly and were slightly singed in places...
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

That looks really good. It's a shame it has to have the firebrick covered up. Ovens get a lot bulkier when you insulate. Right now it's sleek. Inefficient, but sleek.

Frances is right. You need some food in there! I highly recommend beer can chicken. Or you could rig up a grill if you don't have the FB tuscan grill- (it's a great piece of equipment) bricks on each side and a grate or something on top would work ok.
      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

The oven just looks great, and the photos are wonderful! Very nice shots. I can't wait to play with fire.

I won't comment on cooking yet. If I so much as wander into the cooking area of this forum I will never find the time to build an oven! I do love to cook. (Then again, it might just drive me to finish it sooner!)

Travis
        TravisNTexas

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
          Wow, that looks fantastic!

How's the oven holding up, getting warm on the outside yet? When do you start cooking?...or are you going to wait until you can do pizza?

I shoved some bread rolls in there with my third fire... admittedly they needed turning regularly and were slightly singed in places...

The oven is holding up pretty good. The outside temp has gotten up to 190*.
          I have not thought too much about when I might start cooking yet. I want to get the insulation blankets on and finish the curing fires.

Comment

It has been raining here and cold. I turned my thoughts to a door. I made a pattern out of wood so I could tell if it would fit or not. I have a friend that lives in Iowa that is a great welder. He said he would build one for me. I happened to be in Iowa the last couple of days. Monday night Scott welded one up for me. The door is 3? inside dimension. I filled it with 3, 1? bats of insulation. He told me that he had invented a drive on storage rack for snow mobiles, and he had a new web sight as of last night. I don?t snow mobile, but it looks like a pretty good idea. If anyone is interested, it can be seen at [url= http://www.thesledbed.com ]theSledBed.com . I haven?t ground down the welds yet or tried it in the oven. I intend to put a wood front on it. I hope that works out OK.

Comment

Yup, your door looks cool. I can't wait to get to the point in my build! Say, you said a few post back that your oven was drawing air well. I'm interested in your oven throat transition. Is it possible for you to take a picture looking up from the vent landing? It might help us out on how detailed we have to make the transition to the duravent and still draw air well.
              Thanks, Dino
              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Oh man, that door is just so cool! I will be interested to see if the edges conduct enough heat to have any effect on the wood you plan on covering it with, but I suspect it will be minimal. How do you plan on attaching the wood?

Travis
                TravisNTexas

Comment

I went back looking for a picture of the arch before I put the four bricks on top to mount the chimney and couldn't find any. Here are a couple of pictures that I had posted before looking down thru the chimney. I will have to take some pictures looking up and post them after it stops raining. I hope the transfer of heat thru the edge of the door is minimal also. I thought I would run some screws through the wood into the door and put a plug over the screw. I will do some temperature test with the door before I attach the wood.

Comment

I REALLY need to get a welder. Don't know anyone who has one and it became a "lost art" for me about 20 yrs ago (change of career paths). The clean seams and lines of a welded door looks 500% better than rivets or screws (the route I took). Although my insulated door is functional.....just doesn't have that professional/finished look.
                    I see the wood only being a problem if you place the door too soon after the fire.

Great job, let us know how well it helps retain the heat

Comment

I have two welders. An old stick. not so good. A century 130 wire feed. It is a pretty good little welder. I am just not a very good welder. I wanted the door to look good, is the reason I had my buddy Scott build it for me. Scott is a great welder. Plasma cutter and all the tools to do a great job. I have some ideas about how to protect the wood that I am thinking about putting on the front.

Comment

I fired up the oven today and went to 800* to 850*. I have several hairline cracks in the dome. But I do have one that is .030 and one that is .040 of an inch gap. I hope they are not too serious.

Comment

Are those photos from the outside of the dome? If so, it looks just like my oven. I just insulated it and let er rip! Seriously, I think your good (although what do I know, I had my first big fire today!)
                          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                          My oven build thread

Comment

Yes it is the outside of the dome. My next fire will be the big one.

Comment

I would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by mannextdoor View Post
                                Hi all

I received and installed the chimney tonight. I went ahead and fired it up for a little while. It seems to draw pretty well. I may add some more chimney section later.
                                Hi MND. Did you just bolt the chimney plate onto the fire brick base?

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                X