No announcement yet.

First Oven Build - Help/Advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Oven Build - Help/Advice please.

Hi All,
    So I wanted to post some pics of my build. I'm lousy to be honest with the bricks and mortar. This seemed like a cool project and I love cooking pizza on my Kamado but was thinking how much cooler this would be. Anyways I'm getting close to finishing up this project but wanted to also solicit some feedback on the next steps.

Question 1. My plan was to cover the outside with thin brick. If I proceed this route, there would be no ceramic fiber blanket over the dome. How critical to the performance for making pizza is that part? What is gained lost by skipping that step? My concern is, I'm running out of room as I didn't make the hearth platform big.

Question 2. If I use thin brick for the exterior do I use construction adhesive to apply it to the oven or would I just use mortar? Most video's I have seen use adhesive, but this could get hot, right? Will the mortar stick it on there okay?

Question 3. I could get a fiber blanket and then stucco over top of that if I will be happier in the long run with the performance of the oven. Does the stucco vs. think brick affect the longevity in any discernible way?

Question 4. Any ideas for the Chimney? I think I need a cap to keep out rain/animals.... but I'm not sure if this is a real issue. I'm located in AZ, where it is hot and dry all the time.

Also, I'm aware from reading other posts, this is not necessarily the best design for a pizza oven from the get-go. But I was sucked in initially by what looked easy, approachable and would have good results. So, I am aware of that.

The bricks in the arch and hearth are fire bricks. Under the firebrick floor I have an inch of ceramic fiber board insulation. Below the fiber board is the concrete & rebar slab. I think I need a door, a brush, and a peel accessory wise. Do I need anything else? Do you recommend one of those small log posts that hold up the logs? Amazon has those for reasonable prices.

Thanks for reading and hopefully offering helpful advice!!

you will be able to cook a pizza in an uninsulated oven provided fuel is not an issue, a split brick skin will not prevent moisture ingress . for mine an insulated dome rendered and waterproof will be the best

Comment

Thank you for the advice Toomulla. Is there a way to help prevent moisture? Like maybe I can apply a water sealer or something? Is this moisture from rain or ambient moisture? In Arizona it rained twice last year... not sure what kind of moisture I need to be wary of.
      Attached Files

Comment

We get a heavy wet season and a long dry season. given the small amount of rain you get I would probably just cover it with a tarp when it looks like rain

Comment

Working...
        X