38" Cast Dome Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38" Cast Dome Oven

I thought I would post some pictures of my cast oven project. Thank you FB for hosting this forum I have found it to be informational and inspirational. My design ideas came together after I saw pictures of Ironpony's project here. I was unsure how to resize these pictures so hopefully they are not too small.

This is a lot of trouble to go to if you are just making one casting. A simple sandcastle covered in wet newspaper is far quicker. If you intend on reusing the mould a number of times then make sure you use a durable material as the casting mix is pretty hard on any mould material used.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Your correct David S. There are easier ways.The mould toke me two days. I wasn't planning on reusing mould. I had almost every thing I needed in scrap so the mould cost me 20$ out of pocket. I did have a blast making it. Which, to me, is the objective.

Comment

Nice job on mold, yes, Iron Pony did a first rate cast and mold job.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

That is very impressive work ...good job.
          Mike

Comment

Thank you UtahBeehiver and Lc45 (Mike).
            I have assembled dome and gallery, insulated, lathed, dried outout refractory cement, applied first coat stucco for igloo, and cooked first test pizza.
            My gallery/vent did not draft as well as I wished. I did have a bit of a wind which didn't help... I think my design of vent could use some improvement anyway. The other misstep I made which occurred to me too late was to thermally isolate galley from dome with a conductive gap.
            The up side is the oven cooked as well as I had hoped. The first pizza produced was well received by my 4, 7, and 9 year olds. Tough critics all.
            I am looking forward to making bread, pizza, and more this summer. I am thankful for the help and info this forum and it's contributers have provided. Thank you also Forno Bravo for hosting.
            I may post some more pictures when I get a chance if there is any interest.

Comment

Working...
            X