Tank Build in OZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Build in OZ

Here's my build just completed. Im in the middle of the slow heat cure process.
    Here in the wheat belt of South Australia I first built my old barn out of recycled materials from a nearby horse stable, then shearing shed built in the late 1800's
    Its our pig out area where many a bonfire has been had.
    I first seen the idea for this build at a place called Marion Bay Tavern, where they had this galvanised rainwater tank pizza oven inside their restaurant which instantly appealed to me.
    I vowed then and there that I would build one for my family, and 10 years on I have finally got it completed.
    With 5 kids all under 15 we will put it to good use
    I won't bore you with all the construction photos as they are much like everyone else's.
    Inside the tank is a 900 x 900 x 450 barrel build (35' x 35' x 18")
    Bricks are clay and each one has the stamped date on it from 1938
    The door has a steel band frame and the middle is filled with Perelite and mortar cement. Light, strong and insulated.
    The pleasing aspect of this build has been the cost.
    First up, the barn itself is 8m x 8m and cost me 3 cartons of beer to the very generous farmer who was more then happy to see it put to good use as opposed to someone selling the timber for profit.
    huge 250mm x 85mm Oregon beams, 125mm x 125mm Jarrah hardwood posts, and a stack of other timber. All up theres roughly $6000 worth of timber . The rusty iron was also thrown in for free. I wanted it to look like it had been built over 100 years ago, and everyone who has enjoyed good times in here has said I achieved it in spades. (eventually I will pave it all with solid old red house bricks)
    The oven itself: Besser blocks for base free from plumber mate.
    Concrete top I paid for raw materials.
    Free Hebel insulating blocks on top of that.
    Free old clay bricks from farmer next door (well not really free, I owe him a stack of squid next time I go fishing)
    Free rain tank from my brother in Tanunda (along with good bottles of red wine from the winery who works at)
    The biggest cost has been the bloody expensive fire mortar and bags of Perelite.
    All up the total cost for my oven has not gone past $500, which Im pretty bloody happy about.
    I started the stand roughly 2 years ago, then got busy doing other stuff. Its only last month that I vowed to get my 'A' into 'G' and get a wiggle on.
    Once I actually started it was all completed in roughly 4 weeks, doing just a little each day to allow things to set before proceeding.
    Initially it was going to be the dome shape, but decided on barrel as breads, roasts ect....all part of the plan.
    Once I had the oven itself done (its got about 300mm (12") of bricks and insulation), it was time to put the tank on top and build the entrance. What I thought was going to be a difficult process turned out to be extremely easy. Cut out the base of tank and entrance shape, tilt up and drop on. Did it on my own without assistance (kids at school) in about half an hour.
    Anyway, Im pretty chuffed with the way it looks, and so far its behaving good. It draws nicely, the sealing door works a treat, and no cracks (Yet?)
    Ive got to reign myself in a bit as I'm dying to get a real hot fire going and start cooking, but I don't want to stuff it now, so slow steady building up of fires.
    Anyway, I didn't post progress pics and millions of questions like lots of others have done (I was too busy building my other hobby of Gypsy wagons and tiny homes).
    However I did spend many an hour browsing this forum gleaning information from the many posts others have done.
    So thank you to all those who silently and unknowingly contributed to my build, and I hope you enjoy looking at mine.

Well I’m happy as a pig in shit!

cranked her up to full heat after a week of curing.
    45 minutes and got her to 400c

raked coals to side and let cook a bit (flour burst into flames as soon as it hit, so when temp dropped to 300c is was spot on)

simple margherita pizza with a little bacon added.
    my 5 kids were all impressed immensely!
    3 minutes and had a beautiful crispy crust, not Burt on top, melted motzy, and fresh basil.
    devoured in seconds memories forever.

just before I finish my last home brew beer for the day I’ve got a chunk of pork with a dry rub ready to slow cook overnight for puked pork sangas for kids school lunch!

Comment

It certainly looks impressive!

Comment

Liking how the corrugated pipe blends in with your outbuilding. If you have more pics of you build it would be nice if you post an album so future builders can learn from your project, especially since you were able to build an inexpensive oven, not common with the price of materials in Australia
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Nice oven. Nice shed. I could kick back and relax in there. It just feels like home to me .
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks guys. Think I got some progress pictures on home puter? When I get 5 minutes I’ll look and post, but it’s not pretty. As it was always going to be covered with a tank I didn’t worry about appearance at all. End of the day it’s all about the cooking. I measured the temp this morning a good 72 + hours since first big firing, and it’s still around 50 Celsius.
            i started to worry at one stage thinking I had too much thermal mass, not enough insulation, wrong dimensions ETC... ETC....
            Bit after this highly successful first big firing I’m totally stoked!
            Got the home brew beer fridge in the corner, the wood oven, and 5 ecstatic kids and wife, a bloke has to feel pretty good about life in general.
            As a retired chef, I’ve got cooking knowledge, but wow!, still a big learning curve to master with wood fired cooking. Gas commercial ovens are so predictable. Once you know your oven it’s easy peasy. Wood on the other hand is like a little child, needs coaxing, bribing, and prodding to get right, and then tantrums are a millisecond away

Comment

That looks sick mate

Comment

Working...
              X