No announcement yet.

Caribbean Wood Fired Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m all ears for some ideas for a castable mix design.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

DavidS is our resident casting expert. Since fire clay is not available maybe a commercially made dense casting refractory would be best since you may have to import anyway. At least importing of the floor firebricks would not be a numerous as the complete oven. I am sure David will chime in.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

If access to clay is not available you could dig for your own. There is usually a layer of clay beneath the topsoil. If there are any building sites nearby get in when they are digging for the footings. You need to dry it, break it into fist sized lumps, soak it for a few days, then dive out coarse material, dry it and pulverise it to a powder. Alternatively make a cob oven with far less processing of the material.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Funny you mentioned that David. There’s clay everywhere on the island and lots of handmade Hornos that are used by the locals. I was going to test out some soil at my house and I just may go the clay oven route just for fun. Do you have any suggestions for a mix design? I’m thinking I’d even cast floor tile as well
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

In my job as an art teacher, I’ve frequently processed small amounts of clay as a demonstration about clay’s origin. It produces a surprisingly consistent and workable clay with good characteristics. If using it for a cob oven you do not need to go through the same kind of processing with fine sieves though. The mix should be 2 parts sand for every one part clay by volume. Don’t worry too much if a fair proportion of it appears looking more like topsoil, it’ll still work ok. You need to allow the clay to dry completely so it will take up the water. It should also be then broken up into lumps no bigger than a fist. An easy way to make the mix is to get a large sheet of plastic, mix the dry sand and clay together then add water slowly whilst mixing by stomping with boots or bare feet. Occasionally lift the corners of the plastic to get the mix back in the middle. Normally chopped straw is added during this mixing stage. This can be a fun activity if combined with female company and alcohol.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well in spite of the conditions. So here’s where I’m at right now: I had harvested probably 30-40 lbs of clay...maybe more I don’t know...intending to cast an oven. About a month ago, I stumbled across a source for locally made clay brick, made in the same manner has the ones they use in Italy. They only cost HNL 9.00 each and it takes 24.68 HNL to make a dollar. So I bought 200 so I’d have more than enough to play around with. As usual, we have tons of other project ahead of the oven but I’ll be starting it soon. I ordered a ceramic blanket and I’ll have to order double wall chimney pipe too, but that won’t hold me up.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

That's a hell of a deal! Like $0.37 each....
                My Build Pictures
                https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

StoneCutter,

Good to see you are still checking out the blog. Didn't you move to a Bermuda or some place like that? Looking forward to seeing number 2 oven.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                    StoneCutter,

Good to see you are still checking out the blog. Didn't you move to a Bermuda or some place like that? Looking forward to seeing number 2 oven.
                    Hey Russ, I pop in every once in a while. We moved to the Caribbean over 4 years ago, first to ambergris caye in Belize. We didn’t like how small it was so we moved to Roatan about 2.5 years ago. This oven should get rolling soon but for now I need to keep an eye on a possible hurricane. Btw, this one is only number 2 that I’ve documented on the forum..I’ve built many others. How is your garden this year?
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                    X