Finished 42 inch oven in Nicaragua

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished 42 inch oven in Nicaragua

Finally completed the door for my oven based on the Ebook from this site. Had to make some material substitutions along the way due to material availability in Nicaragua. With the aid of a Nicaraguan who had some familiarity with masonry, we built the oven over several months (was also finishing my house, so the oven wasn’t the top priority. I’ll start with some of the completed photos and then post various photos from the build progress.

Congrats on finishing the oven. That is a very nice looking door with the wood craving. It is too bad you did not post more on the progress of the oven. Everyone can learn from any build.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Base construction sequence. This is 8” concrete block with every other core filled. The slab shown here is standard concrete with a reinforcing grid tied into the bars in the cores. Rigid refractory insulation was unavailable here in Nicaragua, so ended up pouring an additional 2” of insulating refractory cement on top.

Comment

Pizza floor and dome construction begins. Only forms used during the build was to aid in supporting the arch bricks until the keystone was placed. These are all medium duty firebricks, with a taper from side to side for the bricks used in the dome construction.

Comment

Completing the dome and chimney arch.

Comment

Basic oven completed. The oven was covered with a 2” layer of Kaowool, and once the enclosure was constructed, an additional 4” to 6” of pumice was poured in on top. I was unable to source vermiculite or perlite in Nicaragua, so settled on using the white pumice we have naturally here. I had a fabricator construct the chimney parts from stainless steel. The section below the roof was wrapped in Kaowool. The roof here is concrete, so we poured a collar with an air gap for the chimney to pass through.

Comment

A couple of wood peels I made and more photos of the oven door. Woodworking is a hobby of mine, and I brought my tools from Canada when we moved here.

Comment

Wow, ... I sure do like your dome, as the masonry brick "seams" are tight and thin. I would think that this would certainly retain heat a lot better than my dome fire brick work. The refractory heat aspect is going to be awesome.

Comment

Here's a few of my firebrick work prior to final outer dome work.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ogopogodude View Post
                    Wow, ... I sure do like your dome, as the masonry brick "seams" are tight and thin. I would think that this would certainly retain heat a lot better than my dome fire brick work. The refractory heat aspect is going to be awesome.
                    I purchased firebricks that were tapered from side to side which were almost perfect for a 42” diameter circle/dome. I also have a Dewalt tile/masonry saw, since I was doing all of the tile installation for my house. It made it a bit easier for getting a reasonably tight fit, and refractory mortar works best when the joints are kept fairly thin.

I have had it fired up for pizza and inserted the door when done (before I completed the carving and thermometer installation) and it has been hot enough to bake bread the following morning. Need to get a good IR thermometer to properly check temperature (another hard to find item in Nicaragua). Found cheaper, low range ones (cheaper in quality, prices are high since it is imported). May have to order one from Amazon and have it muled down.

It looks like you have an opening on the bottom side edge of your dome. If so, for what purpose? The seams on the inside are more important than the outside, assuming you were using a more forgiving mortar mix. Overall, yours is looking good and I assume based on the metal arch that you have a cast iron or steel hinged door to install.

Comment

Good day, Chris.

You have a good eye. Yes, .. my pizza oven dome does, in fact, have a little opening on the dome interior .. but this hole is really "a passageway" from the smoker firebox that is down and to the left of the main pizza oven dome.

The passageway, as I like to call it, rather than a hole, .. is on the firebrick dome rather than the floor of the oven. There is a modified 1/2 fire brick which I can set back into place to "complete" the inner dome when I want to do pizzas, etc .. then if I want to do some smoking of food items on a much lower inner dome temperature .. then the brick is removed and a small fire is made in the smoker box & the cast iron door is closed completely. The smoke rises and enters into the pizza dome, then exhausts out the vent.

I am not sure if I will end up actually using the smoker function all that much. However , I do like the option of being able to do so .. and besides, .. it was a brilliant idea that I copied from a youtube poster Lee McNeil (also a member here at fornobravo, at one time in the past). Lee McNeil has a series of three videos on youtube as well as a real nice 3-D immersible plan on a website called Sketch-up. One really should check out SketchUP as it really is quite cool to be able to 3-D rotate the images of one's pizza oven ... even before starting a project & digging the foundation.

On another topic ... in my photos, you will see the cast iron hinged door was originally mortared into the wrong position. This wasn't a real HUGE mistake .. but it hast to be corrected before anymore work could go forward. I informed my mason that I wanted a certain shaped vent and positioned differently (for the "draw" of airflow to be directed 45 degrees back and then centered over the peak of the dome). My mason had to dismantle the already-masoned cast iron door and move it forward by about a foot. This would allow proper venting.

My mason tried to tell me that the oven will work just fine without doing the modification (i.e. to fix the "mistake" that was made since I was at my workplace, and I couldn't monitor each and every step during the build). I insisted on the correction since the way he had it masoned, ... all the smoke and heat would ONLY come out the door (which he was going to recess inwards). Then there would be staining of soot, and so on. My mason finally "caved" into my wishes and the proper venting was fabricated.

Attached Files

Comment

Here's a few more pics:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm, for the life of me, I cannot find the interior photos of the inside of the oven dome showing the little hole/passageway. I will have to take some new photos with my iPhone by sticking my hand inside the dome and get proper images (with & without the little 1/2 firebrick in place)

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisC View Post
                            Finally completed the door for my oven based on the Ebook from this site. Had to make some material substitutions along the way due to material availability in Nicaragua. With the aid of a Nicaraguan who had some familiarity with masonry, we built the oven over several months (was also finishing my house, so the oven wasn’t the top priority. I’ll start with some of the completed photos and then post various photos from the build progress.
                            A beautiful Oscan Nemier or Mies van der Roh style house.

Comment

Originally posted by ogopogodude View Post
                              Hmmm, for the life of me, I cannot find the interior photos of the inside of the oven dome showing the little hole/passageway. I will have to take some new photos with my iPhone by sticking my hand inside the dome and get proper images (with & without the little 1/2 firebrick in place)
                              looking forward to see this detail !!
                              i'd like also to build a little smoker on the side and then let the smoke pass into the dome by this removable brick,,, but:
                              1) since is not "glued" with mortar, is the all structure still firm and solid?
                              2) is the dome chamber good enough to work as a smoking chamber?

i don't have any experience in this, hope you can give me some hints

Comment

Working...
                              X