X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mongo
    replied
    Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Actually, it wasn't the "dreaded droop". It appears to me that the arch was just a little too far forward. No worries, you did what it takes to recover. It will perform just fine.
    Thanks for that Gulf. Great observation. Arch was actually positioned ok. Turns out my rather cheesy IT had collapsed on me by at least a quarter of an inch in length during the last 3 chains prior to clearing the arch, thus pulling the dome away from the arch.

Leave a comment:

• modified9v
    replied
    Hey George... enjoyed looking at your build today. I think I answered your question about the depth on my build, but if I had it to do again I’d make it longer than shorter. That 2” will be nothing. Try it with a peel into your oven now from that distance and see if it works for ya.

Best of luck on the rest... looking at your photos brought back many memories. LOL,
    Mikie V.

Leave a comment:

• Mongo
    replied
    Finally up to date on my build.
    Dome is not yet closed but while I'm waiting on the counter top to cure so I can stand on it, I'm starting on the flu gallery.
    I'm doing a brick facade covering the face of the oven front and will extend the outer arch out over the facade.
    At this point I have the luxury of full control over the depth of the gallery.

I have plans that range from a depth of 12 to 14 inches.
    I want to minimize that depth to make it easier to get in and out of the oven. At 14 inches plus the 6 inch dept of the inner arch that would be 20 inches before you are actually IN the oven.
    I've guessing that's about a 56 inch reach to the back of the oven.

I'd be great to know what everyone's flu gallery depth is and how it affects tending pizzas and getting in and out.

Leave a comment:

• Mongo
    replied
    Started looking for material for my counter/food prep area.
    Found this piece of soapstone a local stone yard had left over from a job. Beautiful stuff. Going to use it for the landing as well.
    Another chain added.
    Starting to look like something.
    Last edited by Mongo; 03-16-2020, 05:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mongo
    replied
    These next few chains were by far the easiest.
    Got tired of trying to work between these So Cal showers and put an easy-up over the site. One of the best moves I've made so far. Highly recommended.

Leave a comment:

• Mongo
    replied
    Catching up on some photos.
    Now that the arch is cleared I reduced my radius by 1/4 inch. That produced a larger than normal mortar gap so I added wedges cut from scaps. Came out pretty clean.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Actually, it wasn't the "dreaded droop". It appears to me that the arch was just a little too far forward. No worries, you did what it takes to recover. It will perform just fine.

Leave a comment:

• Mongo
    replied
    Fueled by pizza! Can't stop eating waiting for this thing to be done.

Mini-me

Leave a comment:

• Mongo
    replied
    Two weeks ago. Arch is cleared. The right side is painful for me to look at. Strive for perfection but don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
    Before this chain my cheesy IT collapsed on me about a 1/4 inch without me noticing until I got over the arch. I stuck with that radius so there's a bit of a lip. Not worrying about it too much.
    Worked out actually because my plan is to reduce the radius now that I'm over the arch so I have an 18 to 19 inch ceiling for this 42 inch oven.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    ....On the last 2 chains I did notice a droop as the dome bricks met the arch. What is it with that? It seems to happen to just about everyone.....
    oasiscdm Colin found one the simplest methods of staying level across the arch.
    Last edited by Gulf; 03-05-2020, 05:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mongo
    replied
    About to clear the arch. On the last 2 chains I did notice a droop as the dome bricks met the arch. What is it with that? It seems to happen to just about everyone. I was even expecting it and it still happened. I floated several of the bricks in the last 2 chains to make up for the droop and still ended up with a less than perfect final chain over the arch.
    A wise man once asked "does it bother you enough to tear it out and do over?". The answer is "hell no", so I'm pretty happy with it.

Leave a comment:

• Mongo
    replied
    Thanks all. I'm a bit more ahead than the latest photos. Posting a few weeks progress in the next few days.
    Here's the first few chains mated to the inner arch, then the completion of the arch.

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied
    Looking very good, Mongo. Keep those progress pics coming!

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Very nice your doing an amazing job! Russell is correct about that tappered inner arch. I feel thats the hardest part of the dome building to grasp. You are well on your way just when you start to get over the arch many jave a tendancy to start to droop the dome. I just made sure the IT kept me im check and I didnt lay the brick to the arch but let the IT place the brick. If it doesnt fit rigjt you have to grind it and contour the brick so your gap is minimal but the IT is whats setting the brick. When you get to that point you will understand. I also used a line laser to make sure I was doing good.

Ricky

Leave a comment:

• Mongo
    replied
    UtahBeehiver
    Thanks, I really appreciate that. I was actually going to mention you and thank you for the photo documentation you did. I spent over a week studying your album to wrap my head around the tapered inner arch.

Catching up with a few more photos.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X