• Show
Clear All

• PizzaJNKY pompeii build photos

Hopefully you can see my photos now.

Here is the link....I hope. Picasa Web Albums - PizzaJNKY - PizzaJNKY Build
    "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Re: PizzaJNKY pompeii build photos

Hi Pizza, nice build mate

just a quick question, why were you curing your oven before the insulation and over coat was done?
    Regards
    Adrian

Comment

Thanks for the link Jnky. I'm busy with my 9th row ATM and your pics come at the perfect time for me...although your use of a tapemeasure does make me nervous since I havent used mine in a while *cough*

Comment

Ageo, thanks for the kind words. If I remember correctly, I think I started curing fires prior to insulating because I thought I was supposed to. That would allow me to fix any cracks prior to insulating. I gave up on that idea though, and just went for it. I think I asked about it and Ken said just seal it up and forget it, or something like that. I actually think its better to seal prior to curing fires. It keeps the heat in longer, which helps with the curing.

ElGreco-glad my photos could help, even if they are showing you what not to do. Gotta be honest, my oven may not be the prettiest one out there, kinda looks like an alley cat, but it purrs like a kitten! Hopefully my oven will be the one that makes all the non-mechanically inclined people like me say "If he did it, I can do it." Everyone should have a WFO.

Comment

For those of you that are able to access my photos, I have a question about the firebrick entry arch. Do I need to attach a decoritive regular brick arch infront of it? That would bring the center entry arch flush with the little arches that are to the right and left of it.

I think I read somewhere that the firebrick is not supposed to get wet, but now I can't find that thread to confirm. If thats the case, then I guess I would also have to build up to surround the firebrick at the chimney.

Comment

JNKY,

Just saw your two side arches - very cool. What are they for, keeping your beer out of the sun? I think if you added an arch covering the firebrick it would look great. In regard to getting firebrick wet - never heard that before.

Les...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Maybe it's the heat stop mortar you're thinking of. I don't think it's supposed to get wet after you put it up. I almost made that mistake without thinking until I looked at it again this morning. I now have a note in my plans which says "use regular mortar on the outside arch, silly". If firebrick aren't supposed to get wet, then I'm in trouble, because I have them soaking before I mortar them....
              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Both firebrick and the non-premixed (dry) version on heat-stop are perfectly water resistant. Now firebrick is porous, and if it gets wet it's not going to heat up very well until it dries out, but it's certainly not going to dissolve or anything.

Brickyards keep them outside, after all, sometimes for years.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Les-Thanks, and yep, you got it. The two side arches are to keep my beer safe! (I think they also add structural strength to the center arch), if they do, its a bonus. I think you're right, it might look better if I cover the firebrick arch with a regular brick arch.

Elizabeth- (If firebrick aren't supposed to get wet, then I'm in trouble, because I have them soaking before I mortar them....)

Oh yeah-----I did that too. Duh. Maybe that is what I read. The heatstop is not supposed to get wet.

DMUN-Thanks for reminding me. It was the bucket stuff that can't get wet. Man, I'm losing my mind. Starting to forget all the basic stuff.
                  Last edited by PizzaJNKY; 06-06-2008, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I think the thing about firbricks is that they're rather porous. So you do need to get them wet before laying them, but if you live in a cold climate they shouldn't get wet once the oven is built. Because the freezing water would then expand inside the bricks...
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                    X