No announcement yet.

36" in Provo, UT, USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so I had a slow day at work and did a little more planning. I am a little unsure about a few points of it. I am thinking of sealing my roof (hardie board on metal studs) with roof cement and then apply aluminum flashing as a decorative roof that I will paint with rustoleum for color. Here are my plans right now. I am going for a castle theme. I have a hexagonal roof on top of a cylindrical ferrocement enclosure that will be filled with perlite.

Comment

You might want so look at galvanic issues between aluminum and copper. They are usually not compatible.(ie valley flashing and copper roofing). Have you gotten you copper yet? Typically 16 oz copper is used for roofing. I do have some 24" x 12' (might be longer) copper sheeting, hand break, and a 48" Malco break left over from my build and may want to sell at a reasonable price. PM me if interested.
      Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 11-04-2021, 09:17 AM.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thank you Russell. I may take you up on the copper. I was wondering about the corrosion issue where they meet as well but I think it will be ok since the aluminum flashing will be covered in rustoleum paint. I have also been looking into copper finials which are very expensive. I may just do the entire cap in wood and then waterproof and paint with a copper metallic paint. I can wood lathe finials a lot fancier than anything I can buy. I am also thinking a wood top will be easier to make removable so that I can add more perlite after it settles.
        I have some leftover SS fine mesh that I think I might use to cover some holes or arches in the finial so that it gives the roof some breathing ability at the top.
        The PM says you are not receiving messages, I may have the wrong settings.
        I have a 24" folding tool that should work for almost everything I have to do. But just out of curiosity, how much would you want for your 48" break? You can email me if that works (paulkjrobbins@gmail.com)

Thank you for all your advice.
        Best,
        Paul

Comment

Fired up the oven for pizza for the first time this weekend. Last fire was at 900 degrees This one was well over 1000. I think it was too hot. A thin crust cooked well in about 45 seconds. A thicker crust I took out at 50 seconds (25 seconds with a turn). They were starting to char if I left them in longer but the thicker crusts weren't cooked all the way through. I have read on the forum that 90 seconds is pretty standard for pizza so I am guessing it was too hot. 24 hours after the fire the oven was still at 300 degrees without a door. I am guessing this is a good sign since the nights are getting colder here.

Comment

paulkjrobbins I just posted, in my thread, about my first cooking fires yesterday and today too. It sounds like your oven might have been hotter than mine. My thin crust was in for 3 minutes total going by the camera time stamps but I think the crust was burnt in about 20 seconds! I tried rotating, moving around and lifting off the floor a bit but still managed to char each of 3 pizzas. I found the exact same as you when I tried a thicker crust....middle not done enough.

Cheers,
            My build

Comment

A milling shop just opened up a block away which means an endless supply of hardwood offcuts! I just cut a couple loads up and filled the bottom of my oven. It fires my 36" up to 1200 degrees in 25 minutes!

Comment

Working...
              X