X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just started my base - UK Build

Re: just started my base - UK Build

Brad

Nice Start !! How much reinforced concrete are you going to pour on that,as that low arch looks like it will exert quite a push on the walls.

Any chance of you locking some rebar into the cores of the blocks to link it all together..?

Cheers

Peter

Comment

Gotta agree with Peter, When i saw that I was thinking that it is going to need 4 steel plates and 2 steel rods with 4 nuts and washers. to help share/spread the outward load of the low arch.

DMUN recently had a link back to one of the sites that graphically shows the thrust vectors.

Auroville Earth Institute is a research, design and developing agency for vaulted structures, construction of various Vaults, Arches, Domes (VAD).
      Last edited by jengineer; 06-13-2008, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Cheers Peter + Jen,

Good points - it does not even look right in real life! everything looks much too open and top heavy.

I created the arch as a feature more than a structure, I know that arches are very capable, but only when the supporting structures are up to the job.

I have already filled the hollow cores in with concrete and 12mm rebar and intend to build a slab over the top of the arc which will have 4 x 12mm rebars that will have their ends bent at 90 degrees and pushed down into the tops of the hollow cores. The slab will be almost 8 inches thick at the sides and cover the apex of the arch with about 1 inch of concrete.

Do you think that I also need to use steel rods, plates and washers also?

Brad

Comment

If either DMUN or CanuckJim do not respond shoot an email to them and have them look at this thread. I don't think we have any Civil Engineers on this board... yet. From what is shown the thrust lines are way outside of the wall and that is cause concern. Have you thought of incorporating a buttress? It would require some foundation digging and more blocks but you may be able to incorporate the buttresses as walls for a workspace counter or enclosed cabinets or book ends to keep the wood pile tidy.

Look closely to the previous link. One way to stabilize the arch is to apply a heavy load to the arch. You may be doing this by adding in the concrete. Also shen you build your dome it will it be be toward the outer edges and the weight vectors will be near the outer walls.

The oven will be a mix of Example 1 Remedy 2 and Example 2 Remedy 1.

You may just need a heavy ring, which could be tied and buried at the base of the walls
          Last edited by jengineer; 06-13-2008, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I'm sure many of you have seen the following page. That oven has a similar arch underneath, but much more substantial sides--at least, I think I'm interpreting the photos correctly.

Monterey Masonry: Bake Oven Journal

One of my favorite ovens, from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

-Ed

Comment

If your side supports are masonry filled, you should have more than enough support for your slab, if it's reinforced in the usual manner. Remember: most of us just pour slabs with temporary forms or wonderboard underneath, not your elegant arch.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

So, are the block cores filled and reinforced?

Keep the pics coming....next is a pour over the bricks?
                Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Thank-you guys for all the input.

Ed, that oven was my original inspiration, although I lost the thread a while ago and could not remember where I had seen it.

Jim + Dmun,

I have filled the cores with cement and 2 lengths of rebar on each side and expect to place a substantial amount of concrete over the arc, the larger part of which will be concentrated over the tops of the walls.

Brad

Comment

I am planning on cutting up these to add to the 4 rebars to strengthen the concrete slab.

Comment

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/photoplog/images/3900/large/1_DSC05760.JPG

Comment

Comment

Comment

Before I start the next stage I want to be sure that this approach is going to be ok, and the thing is not goint to fall down on me!

Like most of the builders here I am fitting this around lots of other things. Tommorow I am riding in the London - Brighton bike race , having done no training. Hopefully I will be able to get the reinforcement in place and secure the blocks and bricks with a small amount of cement after the race - if that is going to be enough to shift the loading directly on top of the walls.

Brad

Comment

I will also be building up the sides to house the oven, and this material could easily be the same concrete blocks to add more load to the piers.

Brad

Comment

Working...
                              X