Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrotter
    replied
    Almost finished next course, I had to bevel bricks at their full length now to avoid inverted V. Will finalize tomorrow and post pictures. According to my calculations, there are 3-4 courses to keystone, holy ****.

Leave a comment:

• mrotter
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    I agree with David S. The thermal K value of carbon steel is much higher than refractory brick. Although I installed a thin wall SS channel on my build 10 years ago I would go with David S suggestion now.
    Ok thanks. Will definitely go with that AIR/insulation gap with beveled brick.
    Last edited by mrotter; 05-09-2022, 12:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I agree with David S. The thermal K value of carbon steel is much higher than refractory brick. Although I installed a thin wall SS channel on my build 10 years ago I would go with David S suggestion now.

Leave a comment:

• mrotter
    replied
    Originally posted by david s View Post
    Try this Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2174.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	446467
    OK, I will do exactly this. Thanks. Luckily that piece of steel pipe costed like 3 USD.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    In my builds the gap (around 8mm) acts as an expansion joint as well as eliminating heat flow by conduction. It allows the inner oven castings to expand freely without putting stress on the outer decorative arch. I've seen enough ovens with cracked outer arches to know that this is a good innovation. I fill the gap with thin slices of blanket, sealed off at the top with som 6:1 vermicrete.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1369 copy.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	779.5 KB
ID:	446469

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Try this Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2174.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	446467

Leave a comment:

• MarkJerling
    replied
    Either David's solution, or a tiny gap, filled with ash over time is far better than a conductive hunk of steel. Many other options have been tried but a small gap is really the easy solution.
    Thermal Break Materials - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community
    In fact, doing nothing would be better than the hunk of steel.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    A better solution IMO is to bevel the underside of the landing brick so that it only contacts the floor brick at the tip the triangular void can be filled with blanket or 10:1 vermicrete or perlcrete. I did a sketch but it's slow to load onto the cloud, I'll post it later.

Leave a comment:

• mrotter
    replied
    That looks like some steel rolled hollow section, if so it will be fairly heavy and conductive, exactly what you don't want. If aluminium it's even worse. Insulating value is the reciprocal of thermal conductivity. The attached table might help.

https://idoc.pub/documents/thermal-c...s-d47e3p7g7yn2
    Yes, it is hollow, I planned to fill it perhaps with perlite or parts of ceramic fiber blanket.

I do not really see any alternatives. It is made of steel. What other options are there?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    That looks like some steel rolled hollow section, if so it will be fairly heavy and conductive, exactly what you don't want for an insulating section.. If aluminium it's even worse. Insulating value is the reciprocal of thermal conductivity. The attached table might help.

https://idoc.pub/documents/thermal-c...s-d47e3p7g7yn2

Leave a comment:

• mrotter
    replied
    Also, here is my floor heat-brake, just placed in place.

EDIT: Floor bricks are not yet leveled, I just applied thin layer of sand under them, and will fine-tune leveling later.

Leave a comment:

• mrotter
    replied
    Just sand should do, but I think a 50/50 sand clay mix is less likely to move around under the bricks. Some builders apply it wet which will make it set hard and stop any movement, but that introduces moisture under the floor which has to be removed as well as making brick removal difficult should that be needed down the track.
    Maybe not much difference, what do others think?
    I used pure Si sand, seems to be workable. I plan to finalize one more course (first fully round course), then cleanup inside of dome more and level bricks. I also replaced bricks with best ones I found with smoother surface.

See photos below.

I mortared 6 bricks of next course, plan to continue today, finish course, maybe do some little leveling adjustments with angle grinder. I struggled a bit with cuts on those dome bricks which touch top part of inner arch, had to use some extra mortar, but backfilled any big spaces with firebrick scraps.

Oh, also, I removed inner arch form.

Any opinions welcomed.

JRPizza
    UtahBeehiver
    david s

Leave a comment:

• mrotter
    replied
    Be very careful to avoid brick dust as it is dangerous to inhale. Really, any cutting should only be done with a wet saw which eliminates airborne dust. Dry cutting with an angle grinder or fitting a diamond blade to a drop saw is dangerous for the operator and your neighbours. It should be kept to a bare minimum and wear a decent respirator, not a dust mask.
    Thanks for tips. I will buy the same and will test it.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Be very careful to avoid brick dust as it is dangerous to inhale. Really, any cutting should only be done with a wet saw which eliminates airborne dust. Dry cutting with an angle grinder or fitting a diamond blade to a drop saw is dangerous for the operator and your neighbours. It should be kept to a bare minimum and wear a decent respirator, not a dust mask.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Just sand should do, but I think a 50/50 sand clay mix is less likely to move around under the bricks. Some builders apply it wet which will make it set hard and stop any movement, but that introduces moisture under the floor which has to be removed as well as making brick removal difficult should that be needed down the track.
    Maybe not much difference, what do others think?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X