No announcement yet.

36" build in heart of Europe, Czech Republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here I highlighted that the anchor is in line with middle of L bracket to meet at middle if brick thick.
    Attached Files

Comment

Revisit the Tapered Inner Arch later. It is too early in your build to explain right now and there is nothing you can do right now anyway. But a quick answer, the tapered inner arch needs to use full length bricks, each one different in length as well as angles (TDC is the longest). They are NOT all the same and the IT will help you determine the angles and slope when you get to that point. PS that is the correct alignment from the pivot point to the center of the brick. You can see how an incorrect set up affects the bricks and it is cumulative and get worse as you go up each course.
      Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 11-21-2021, 10:45 AM.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

OK, brother. I will maybe post some other questions, but at this point I feel much more competent to build my WFO. THANKS!

Yes, it seems that IT will help greatly when I have arch form cut and prepared in place to understad how long/shaped/angled by TDC brick and other arch bricks need to be.

Comment

Here's something to chew on then for the winter.

Taper Arch Help.pdf ​​​​​​​
          Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
            Here's something to chew on then for the winter.

[ATTACH]n443325[/ATTACH] ​​​​​​​
            Nice, I am just working on my arch form, quite busy tho.

Comment

Just now made inner arch form, it is 45 cm wide, 27 cm high, dome will be 34" ID.

Comment

The mortar joints are quite large so you may want to consider either tapering the bricks or installing voussiors in the large mortar joints. Make sure you leave room for a relief under the form so you can get it out after the arch is complete. Since you are doing an axe arch attached in a pic from Mr. Chipster showing how the IT works for a tapered arch on this type of arch configuration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hemiarch.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	443367
                Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                  The mortar joints are quite large so you may want to consider either tapering the bricks or installing voussiors in the large mortar joints
                  Yes, I am perfectly aware of that and will address the issue of course. I did not really decide whether to taper arch bricks or not. Perhaps I will as I will have some time before spring kicks in.

I am about to cut CaSi board to final shape. Can you confirm that my dimensions will be okay? ID - 85 cm, CaSi - 125 cm (12,5 cm for dome half/bricks, 7,5 cm for insulation - each side), total oven outer diameter about 135-137 cm (5-6 cm for perlcrete coating, render).

Comment

Also, made some sketch to vizualize where inner arch TDC and my dome intersects, just to make some ideas about how forward/backward movement of arch can influence the intersection.

Comment

I was cutting CaSi yesterday, I decided to make room for 2 cm reveal at oven entry, also I made enough length for 35 cm vent arch which I believe is more than adequate.

Comment

Comment

Hello UtahBeehiver and others. Weather is getting better here, so I drilled 1 weep hole (in the place which is sits in a small "walley" so water goes into the place by gravity, also bought cheap free-resistant tiles and placed and cut to shape.

Comment

Started laying floor bricks. These are salvaged, got them nearly for free.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Tried to dry-lay first course of dome bricks and also tried to position TDC inner arch brick.

More experienced guys - does the TDC/dome intersection seems about right? I outlined ID+OD on the TDC brick, see pics.

Thanks for hints.

UtahBeehiver
                              JRPizza
                              Last edited by mrotter; 04-23-2022, 11:28 AM.

Comment

The bottom of the arch form should intersect the ID arc of the dome. It appears that the form is too far forward (or outward) by an inch or so. Second, the IT needs to be adjusted. Drawing a line from the pivot point at the floor, it needs to intersect the L bracket where it meets the halfway thickness on the dome brick. This is critical for the dome, if not corrected the errors are cumulative as you go up in courses. Attached is a pic showing each segment of a tapered inner arch brick. They are not the same so you need to cut each one based on the IT and previous brick. The top brick will be the longest.
                                Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X