Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More photos.

Comment

• While you're not quite closed at the top, you can use this access to filling joints on the inside of the oven. It is far easier than trying to do it from the entry.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by david s View Post
        While you're not quite closed at the top, you can use this access to filling joints on the inside of the oven. It is far easier than trying to do it from the entry.
        Damn, you are right. I almost forgot. Will do that today. I did some of bigger air pockets days ago, but certainly missed some spots. OK.

Comment

• Looks great! I remember my father-in-law eating some of the first pizza and saying how great it was but he was never really sure I'd finish it till I did ;-).

When I got to where I could get 4 pieces out of a brick I went back to using half bricks for a row or so and it saved me some cutting.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by JRPizza; 05-16-2022, 07:19 PM.
          My build thread
          https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

• Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
            Looks great! I remember my father-in-law eating some of the first pizza and saying how great it was but he was never really sure I'd finish it till I did ;-).

When I got to where I could get 4 pieces out of a brick I went back to using half bricks for a row or so and it saved me some cutting.
            Yes, I could do that now as I am now exactly in the course where I could split one brick into four pieces and use those, but I think it would introduce "mortar pockets" under those wider bricks.

Right now top side of my last course has bricks about 6 cm wide, bottom side about 7 cm (give or take). I could use half-brick (like on lower courses) = 12 cm, which would work exactly like your picture with one exception - I think that there would be big "mortar pockets" under those wider bricks visible from inside of the oven, something similar like inverted V but horizontally. I even see those on your picture - did that bother you? I think about it seriously as it would speed up the process considerably. Also, note that my oven has smaller ID (35-36") so the "horizontal V" is even more pronounced. On your picture I see 13 half bricks in that course, in my oven it seems I would need exactly 10 half-bricks.

See pic with red areas.

Comment

• I didn't bother me at the time as it was not on my radar, but now that you mention it they are rather large gaps. Even though I suggested going with half bricks if you want to minimize mortar exposure to direct flame staying smaller is probably the better choice.
              What did bother me (and you can see it in the picture) was when I was "gently tapping" my keystone plug into place I knocked some shallow "chips" from the adjacent bricks. If I was to build again I would make sure I had a little more clearance when inserting the plug and let the mortar help locate it at the proper height vs trying to have interference do the job.
              My build thread

Comment

I didn't bother me at the time as it was not on my radar, but now that you mention it they are rather large gaps. Even though I suggested going with half bricks if you want to minimize mortar exposure to direct flame staying smaller is probably the better choice.
                What did bother me (and you can see it in the picture) was when I was "gently tapping" my keystone plug into place I knocked some shallow "chips" from the adjacent bricks. If I was to build again I would make sure I had a little more clearance when inserting the plug and let the mortar help locate it at the proper height vs trying to have interference do the job.
                I will check how big those pockets actually are on my build and if they will be "manageable", I will fill them with firebrick scraps as well as I could. If they will be huge, I will likely have to make those smaller cuts.

Comment

I didn't bother me at the time as it was not on my radar, but now that you mention it they are rather large gaps. Even though I suggested going with half bricks if you want to minimize mortar exposure to direct flame staying smaller is probably the better choice.
                  OK, I decided to go with wider bricks for next course and fill the "pockets" with brick scraps. Given that I am two rows away from keystone, structurally, it is just fine and should hold up just well. However the "pocket" problem will transfer to next-next row as well and will be even more pronounced, so I will cut small triangle shapes to fill those spaces. Then there will be just enough room for keystone, which will likely have to consist of at least two parts, I will see when I get there (maybe around weekend).

Also, now I have like 10 bricks left so not enough to make vent arch and chimney structures. Now, I need some design ideas as I have to decided whether vent arch bricks will be visible from outside or covered with some final surface solution (broken tiles, silicone/acrylic render, whatever). If they won't be visible I can use reclaimed almost free bricks. If visible, would have to buy new (not that bad, as only limited amount will be needed).

Comment

• JRPizza

Also I have a question related to "depth" of vent arch. I have around 35 cm to work with but would like to make vent arch rather shallow - 25 cm deep (one brick on longer side). I planned to make entry hole for chimney 8 cm deep and (around) 20 cm wide.

So that will be 8 cm (hole) + 8.5 cm of brick on each side of hole. Do you think its just okay? From some albums I saw quite deeper vent arches.

Comment

• When trying to make the shortest vent possible there are two controlling factors - providing sufficient area to exhaust gasses and feed your chimney, and if using brick enough depth to build a stiff/durable structure. If you cast a vent you can make it pretty short and only worry about feeding the chimney. If you are using brick the "standard" seems to be 1 1/2 bricks deep. My vent is free standing, meaning I have a heat break between it and the oven dome and it gets no support from the dome. I also used L shaped bricks at the rear of the arch that went back over the top of my dome arch that gave me (I thought) a little more stability and area for the mortar to bond to. I don't know what the absolute minimum with brick would be and it probably depends on how stable the base of the arch is (mine sits on CF board), whether you tie the vent back into the dome structurally, and how much load (weight and potential for movement) your chimney structure puts on it.
                      Building a vent that is too deep can make getting food in and out of the oven more difficult but many do fine with the brick and a half depth (~13.5"). If you have that much room (10 cm?) to the end of your hearth slab why wouldn't you want to bring the arch our closer to the edge?
                      Also, I can't remember if you are going with the recommended 6" minimum chimney diameter?
                      My build thread

Comment

When trying to make the shortest vent possible there are two controlling factors - providing sufficient area to exhaust gasses and feed your chimney, and if using brick enough depth to build a stiff/durable structure. If you cast a vent you can make it pretty short and only worry about feeding the chimney. If you are using brick the "standard" seems to be 1 1/2 bricks deep. My vent is free standing, meaning I have a heat break between it and the oven dome and it gets no support from the dome. I also used L shaped bricks at the rear of the arch that went back over the top of my dome arch that gave me (I thought) a little more stability and area for the mortar to bond to. I don't know what the absolute minimum with brick would be and it probably depends on how stable the base of the arch is (mine sits on CF board), whether you tie the vent back into the dome structurally, and how much load (weight and potential for movement) your chimney structure puts on it.
                        Building a vent that is too deep can make getting food in and out of the oven more difficult but many do fine with the brick and a half depth (~13.5"). If you have that much room (10 cm?) to the end of your hearth slab why wouldn't you want to bring the arch our closer to the edge?
                        Also, I can't remember if you are going with the recommended 6" minimum chimney diameter?
                        Yes, I plan to go with 6" chimney ID, that's about standard for these types of structures.

Yes, 1.5 brick depth is about standard as I also noticed on many albums. Main thing that bothers me is really easy of access inside the oven. My arch will also be free standing and separated from dome arch by fire-resistant rope + heatbrake in the floor (air gap). I also plan to use those L-cuts.

I just did not want to make entry arch unnecessarily deep. Some kind of minimal landing would be great. I will do measurements asap and will report back.

Also, I started penultimate dome course yesterday, as per your example -> 12 cm wide half bricks -> pockets filled with scraps/mortar. Seems to work just fine.

Comment

• JRPizza Doing one row with wider bricks prove to be good way. I picked some speed and was able to finish last course today (no mortar between bricks yet). Hole for keystone has about 11 cm diameter, so I believe I will have to go with 2-piece keystone.

Question is, is it better to make those pieces stacked horizontally or vertically? I believe horizontal (side-by-side) keystones will be easier to cut and place.

Another bad message for me is that my 3rd bag of mortar is almost empty and I will have to likely buy a new one - either 5 or 25 kg.

Comment

• Anyway, I went with 3-piece keystone, stones places side by side. Also, I decided to make cuts into casi to make room for free-standing outer/vent arch, similarly like here: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...827#post175827

So I decided that my outer arch bricks/legs will stand directly on hearth concrete, mainly because tiles/casi contact to hearth was not 100% flat and I was afraid of potential cracking. Will post pics soon.

Comment

• OK, made progress. Built vent arch, which is free-standing. All surfaces of vent arch which are facing to main oven dome are separated with 1-2 cm of space which is now filled with blanked insulation. There is very big heat brake gap incorporated into floor, also filled with blanket. All sides of floor are separated from vent arch also with insulation blanket (1 cm) covered by thin layer of sand.

Prepping for blanket insulation covering of dome. Dome/vent intersection will be separated by fire-resistant elastic rope.

Insulation will have 7 cm (3 layers) + 3-4 cm of concrete shell on top of it. Then top finish which will be silicone-based render normally used for houses here. Vent arch will be covered by "flexible" mortar and broken mosaic-like style tiles.

As for flu, I am about to order 150 mm ID metal chimney pipes which will be placed in square-shaped chimney brick structure.

After blanketting, I plan on doing some small fires, but overally there is little to no of moisture in the oven as it was left uncovered in shiny weather and covered during rains.

I plan to make/buy some small decorative statues to be placed on those two small platforms in the front face of vent arch.

Comment

• OK. I applied 3 layers of blanket, 3" in total. I am about to apply concrete render of about 1.5" thickness.

I already laid two courses of brick chimney, will be ordering stainless steel single wall chimney system which will come on top of it.

Also, made first curing fire yesterday and even incomplete chimney of about 30 cm length DID draw smoke out of vent arch! Huge satisfaction.

Will post photo/video soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X