Photos of my Pizza oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of my Pizza oven build

Hi everybody, this is a link to my Google photos of my patio and pizza oven build. The patio is flagstone from Rocky mountain River bedrock. The pizza oven is made from the forno bravo plans provided on the website. It has a 40-in interior, and an 18 and 1/2-in door opening.

The concrete slab is 12 in thick and has 100 ft of 3/4 in rebar. I think I overbuilt everything on this, but I've never done anything like it before so I figured it's better to overdo than underdo. I had read a post on here a long time ago where someone talked about their pizzas were soggy, and it was because there was not enough insulation in the floor. I did not want something like that to happen to me, so I did as much as possible to make sure I would have no issues.

The floor itself is sitting on top of 2-in fiber ceramic board. Starting from the inner layer of the dome, it is fire brick, refractive mortar, 2 in of ceramic blanket, 2 in of pearlite, and then 2 in of white cement.

It is not shown in these photos, but to weather seal it I used broken Mexican tiles and created a mosaic look. After that I sealed the entire oven with a cement sealant from home Depot. It is definitely 100% waterproof.

When the fire is at full temperature, you can place your hand on the dome and it is cold. The steel chimney I got off Amazon. It is actually a double walled and insulated chimney that is made to be part of a chimney that goes from the inside of your house to the outside of the house through a wall. I looked at other chimneys, and they were so expensive. I believe this one was $180, plus maybe 40 or $50 for the cap. It is beautiful quality.

After the oven is too temperature, it takes roughly 60 seconds to cook a pizza. I have cooked 30 pizzas in one night, and that required adding probably three or four more logs during the down time. I do not have a door for it, and usually I will come out the morning after we use it, and when I put my hand inside it is still warm.

I sourced everything locally, except for the refractive mortar. I bought that on Amazon, and I think I bought eight of the little white buckets. I don't know what their weight is, but it would be like a 2 gallon or 3 gallon bucket.

I stopped keeping the receipts after a while, but I think the oven, the base, and the cement slab cost roughly $2,500 to $3,000.

A lot of people told me that I was going to use it a couple of times and then never use it. They are definitely wrong, we use it all the time. It is an absolute blast, and every single person walking the street past my house stops in to see what we are doing. It cooks the best pizza I've ever had in my life. I have not mastered making my own pizza dough, so I go to the Italian pizza place down the street from me and they sell me the dough pretty cheap.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to reach out to me, here is my email, that's probably the easiest way to ask a question.

alanmettler@gmail.com

Here is the link to my pictures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/q6zLa6jMPsbdDopH7

Working...
X