Our WFO in " Jersey"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our WFO in " Jersey"

Hey everyone, I have been a member for a while, and have been working on my WFO over the summer. I found the information here priceless during my build. My wife and I took a trip to Maine for our anniversary and had pizza made in a WFO in a restaurant called the Flatbread Company. Which, in turn, planted the pizza oven seed in my brain. So we had an old cinderblock shed in the backyard that sat on a slab. We had knocked it down and thought that that would be a perfect spot. It was a really fun project and it still is going, so here is what I've done so far. I'm not sure what I can fit in each post so I'll break em up into 4 pics a piece.
    Thanks
    David Manchester

These four are of my helpers/supervisors, and the initial slabs for the oven and wall, I had to break the slab underneath to fit the pond liner in.
    David and Cynthia Manchester

Re: Our WFO in " Jersey"

These are of Bubba ( he likes to climb/sit on rocks) and the rocks I got for free from a old house they were knocking down.

Comment

Here's after the pour. The inspectors were out again..

Comment

These are of the Wall/Oven base build. I mortared everything/ instead of dry-stacking to help with the freeze thaw we get here in New Jersey. I also acid stained the slab base for the wood storage. I had some extra and figured...why not. Even if it's going to be covered in wood.

Comment

Oh ours is a 39" The 2nd pic is me getting an idea of placement. The rest are of the support slab and pour, and rain the followed right after I poured

Comment

David - what do you have in mind to support the span over the opening?

Les...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

These are of the complete 1st slab and the reclaimed beams I cut (off of the same house I took the rock from.) The water wall progression, and the last pic is of Spanky ..lickin' her chops waiting for the pizza

Comment

Les,
                Caught your post after I posted the last pics, I cast in angle iron into the slab and the set the wood beam underneath to add support. BTW I was really impressed with your dome construction.
                Dave

Comment

These are of the Vermiculite mix and the 1st layer of stucco over the walls. I added cream layer of straight portland over the vermiculite layer to smooth and level things out a bit.

Comment

These are of the walls with some more stucco layers and the adobe style rafter posts. The plumbing is in the for the fountain in the wall and the beams are set on the oven.

Comment

I thought buying a solid pond liner would be easier that getting a tarp liner. Just dig a hole fill the dirt around it. Sure no Prob..well it was kinda a pain in the A*($! Getting it level and filling in the dirt around, filling it halfway and leveling more, wetting the dirt around it...tamping, leveling. It took me a couple hours of messing with that to get it right. I put in a overflow perf pipe to carry any excess rain water away. I also have pics of the fire-pit hole. The little red guy is excess concrete. We called him the fire-god and asked him to bless our fire pit

Comment

Liking it a lot! keep those pics coming!!!

My water feature is on hold until the rest of the patio is complete. General's orders....

Christo
                        My oven progress -
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                        sigpic

Comment

The girls didn't know what to make of the Fire God...The rest are of one of the concrete tops that will go next to the oven. The color we made from Earth Pigments, they're natural ochers from France. The website is : Natural Ochers, Earth Pigments and Mediums from The Earth Pigments Company

You can add them to Stucco, (we used it on the walls) Concrete, paint, plaster whatever you want to tint.

Comment

Christo,
                            Thanks, I really like how you finished yours with the tile accents. Originally I just wanted the pizza oven...but my "General" turned it into everything else. And.......the list keeps growing.

Comment

As the list grows...these are some pics of the entire area now including the posts set for the pergola. We poured the "bowl" for the fire-pit. I dug three more footings underneath the bowl to stabilize it. I poured the bowl about 6" thick and hand formed the slope. We thought it would be a good idea to make a bowl to sweep up the ashes. I also drilled a "rain" hole that led to another perforated pipe to drain the rain water. I acid stained the bowl too, even thought It'll be mostly charred black. The fountain wall my wife picked out some stones I cut, drilled and mounted to the wall. I ground a groove in the stone with my wet polisher on top to allow the water to flow. Of course I also finished the dome of the pizza oven. It has the first layer of vermiculite on it. I later changed out the smaller flue for a larger one. It wasn't drawing as well as I would have liked.

Comment

Working...
                              X