X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small 30ins uk oven - cheers all

Finished my 30ins oven this weekend and Im

Just want to say thanks all for the help advice ive found from individuals
    and forum areas within this site..from laying foundations, to how to build a near smokeless fire (which was the biggest challenge in the whole project )

yet to have my first feast - nearly finished curing and now getting it upto
    500F pretty easy- because its small it gets hot lovely and quick..just one last long firing I reckon

anyone whos wants any advice on materials sourcing etc in the UK im happy to help

Im going to post a few more photos of the project from start to finish in the near future

Re: small 30ins uk oven - cheers all

Ross, I'm just starting planning my own Pompeii oven in Northumberland, UK and had been thinking about enclosing the dome but am now considering of exposing the dome like yours. Can I ask a few questions:

1) how thick was the insulation blanket,
    2) how thick was the external vermicrete layer,
    3) what mix did you use for your external plaster layer,
    4) what was your outer decorative layer, and finally (at least for the moment)
    5) have you had operational issues (other than the crack you reported) ie external temp, major cracking etc

Thanks
    TonyB

Visit my Blog at www.batty.me.uk

Comment

Hi Tony

1) how thick was the insulation blanket,
      it was 25mm and cost about ?50 from a local refractory company

2) how thick was the external vermicrete layer,
      prob about 3 ins although i did put more on the top of the dome than round the base - thats about ?12 for 100 litre bag

3) what mix did you use for your external plaster layer,
      1part cement - 1 part hydradted lime ( from B&Q - ?6 a bag) 5 parts sand
      then added some palstercisor/waterpoofer. I applied it by have in 2 thin layers with rubber kitchen gloves - Got it quite smooth then after it harderned i used sand paper to make smoother -

4) what was your outer decorative layer, and finally (at least for the moment)
      Then applied 1 coat of B&Q masonary paint ?12 it was just to act as a barrier over winter although i like the finish. I plan to build a pergola ver the top and cover the dome and pergola with Ivy.

5) have you had operational issues (other than the crack you reported) ie external temp, major cracking etc
      I got the inside upto 550F the other day and the outside wasnt even warm..Although after time it will crack ( hairline I hope ) they all do but Ive bought a tube of fire cement again form B&Q thats on standby if a crack does appear thats larger than expected you can simply pipe in the cement while the crack is open.

I had great fun building it Tony and i was lucky sourcing firebricks off ebay and used stone for the base...In all I think its cost around ?500 but in reality it should be 3 times that...Also i need to extend the arch out at the front and im sourcing a flu from a chminea...all that for next year .. its firing great and Im happy with the result till then

the only thing i would do if i was to do it again is make it bigger with a bigger base..

i I originally set out to build a cob oven like Bread For All but i found this forum and it spiraled from there. Alot of people on this forum seem a bit obssesed with the oven building and acuracy of that..I just want to cook tasty food..but everyone has been very friendly and helpful if you need to know specifics

Any help you need give me a shout..Ive added a couple of pics of the blanket and vermiculite

Comment

Thanks Ross. I'm sure I will have more questions later as I only intend to put the first concrete base in before winter and then finish the oven in spring.

Cheers
        TonyB

Visit my Blog at www.batty.me.uk

Comment

Nice job Ross.

There are times I really wish that I would have built a smaller oven for quicker firing.
          How long does it take to heat up to pizza temps?
          And how well does it hold heat?

Thanks
          Dave
          My thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
          My costs:
          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
          My pics:
          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Cheers Dave

not gone nuclear with it yet just finishing the curing ..got to over 550f the other day took about 30mins...let the fire die out and go back to cool rather than keep it at that temp or go hotter..

The fire bricks where from a potters kiln that was never built so i expect them to take a good fire to get them hot but should do the job once they are..

I think all that experimenting / oven cooking wont happen till next spring. Weve had a terrible summer in the UK and I reckon only a couple of weeks dry weather left.. those dark nights are closing in..Just wanted to get it insulated and sealed for the winter...think ill get a pizza out of it in the next few weeks tho

Comment

Hi Ross,

I saw the picture of your oven. It looks fantastic. I am building an oven in Dorset and also hope to get it more or less finished before the winter.

Can you let me know where you got your chimney (pipe) from?

Thanks

Jochen

Comment

cheers

Its actually a clay drainidge pipe / conector cost ?8 from travis perkins
                they do other shapes / sizes

Its been clay fired when it was made so i think can withstand the heat.
                I had the oven upto 850F at weekend cooking it was fine. May have to wrap a towel round it in winter tho so it doesnt crack with frost...But if it does no matter ?8 wasted

What I plan to do next year is get a metal pipe /chimnea chimney about 1,5
                meters ( not been able to find a good one yet) and just slide it over the top
                that way the fumes will get a bit higher into the atmos...

Comment

Thanks Ross,

I am going to buy a drain pipe similar to yours. I was going to use an old chimney pot but decided that it will be far too big for my oven. The other thing I thought buying was a pot or cast iron chimenea, and use the top for my chimney. If I can pick one up cheap I might still consider this.

Hoping to get the dome finished this weekend, if it is not raining. Fire blanket and vermiculate concrete next.

Thanks for your help

Comment

looks great mate

Comment

Just to let those who are interested know or who have asked about how the oven cooks..

Went nuclear last weekend up to 850F..couldnt resist a pizza try out, so quickly ran to the shop, got loads of ingredients, had some friends over for the first pizzas... my son made the kitchen into a production line...they were lovely...took about 2 and a half mins a pizza - I let the fire burn down a bit to much as we rushed to get them made..Ill cook sooner next time

Everything was fine - Got a crack between the arch and dome but expected
                      that to be honest so fireclayed it when it was at its widest.

im sure thats where alot crack but because a lot of people inusulate the arch and chimney they never see it...The chimney pot stood up to the high heat really well.

A bit of smoke out of the front arch when I was adding to much wood to quick. When oven was hot and flames were flying out of the front the draw was really good, so I may not extend my arch out next year....just gave the front bricks a quick scrub next day with a wire brush.

what I couldnt believe was next day 14 hours after we had finished and the fire was out the inside top of the dome was stil nearly 300F ...

The weather is shocking now so at least I know how those pizzas taste - looking forward to the spring next year...

Comment

Working...
                      X