Re: Tims oven - early days!
Hi Tim,
I caught up with progress on your build today. What a great looking oven. I really liked the idea of the arch entry into the wood storage area. I liked it so much I will probably nick your idea when I get to building mine! I love the red brick look and the matching arches. I am looking to lay my concrete slab this Friday and see how it goes from there. I will be inerested to see what you do with the chimmney and vent (I've also had a good look at Neills great work on his build)
Cheers
Salv
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Tims oven - early days!
Collapse
X
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Thanks for the offer! I will track down some steel and get back to you.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
My 'funnel' is made from 1.6mm offcuts from my Robin Hood kit clubman, but the one I made for Hendo's oven was only .9mm 304 stainless.
Plenty of strength for 3 or more sections of flue. I would most definitely go 8" rather than your planned 6" Tim.
I know they work exceptionally well!
Mine is 3 sections tall and I could go easily another 3 or 4 more but then I would need to put a red light to warn the planes on top!
Go to Green steel in Manton Street, Hindmarsh, get some offcut stainless and come around and we will make one up in a couple of hours. You can then 'build and bolt it in.
Neill
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
I need the chimney to be pretty tall so that it clears nearby rooftops. I was thinking 2x900mm lengths of 150mm pipe but keeping the option to go to 3 lengths. I was originally going to build a short brick chimney on top of my entry and then bolt a standard spigot (flat plate with a short round section attached) but I wasn't sure if it would support a longer chimney well enough.
Now I am thinking that it would be more stable to build a trapezoid that is fitted to my arch, with the pipe welded to that. I can get access to tig or oxy welders if I need to but haven't done any welding for years. What type/thickness of steel would be easiest to work with if I do this?
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Hi Tim and well done so far!
you've seen mine and I don't have my void or entry insulated, as I feel that it is not needed if you have a well insulated oven door in place, after all, you are not cooking out in the void nor trying to preserve your heat there.
As for the thermal difference, I used 4 small dyna bolts to hold the stainless chimney in place without any problems what so ever.
What sort of chimney are you preferring to use, and what size, diameter and height?
Neill
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Thanks guys!
I had to light a tiny fire with a couple of twigs, just to see some flame in there
Now on to the entry arch. I have it planned out, and I'm cutting bricks tomorrow. I'd still love to hear others experiences with attaching the chimney - any tricks for allowing for thermal expansion if you bolt into bricks?
How much should I worry about insulating the entry - do others give it as much insulation as the dome? Or just a thinner coat?1 Photo
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Wow Tim ! Thanks so much, I hope you enjoyed building your dome as such as we have ..lol.
Have just worked out your not too far away from my favourite lill shop...Beernenberg..
I need to do another trip that way, nearly run out of sauce !
Looking forward to your insulation .....
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Well, that shouldn't take you more than a minute or two, right?
Congratulations, good work, its a lovely dome. I may be biased, but I really like rustic domes, and that one looks great!
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Well, my dome is finished. The last few courses look like a dogs breakfast compared to some of the geometric masterpieces on here but I'm confident that it's pretty strong at least! And hey, 'rustic' is a style
I made the entire dome using just the piece of string as my dome guide after the first few courses, and didn't end up needing any forms except for a stick to hold up the odd recalcitrant. I'd recommend this approach, it was much easier than I thought. I did make my mortar with a little more fireclay than recommended (1 part portland, 3 brick sand, 1 lime, 1.5 fireclay) and it was lovely and sticky which helped a lot.
I'll climb inside tomorrow and scrub down the bricks with a bit of HCl.
Next step is to secure the front edge of the cooking floor and make the arch to support the chimney. Then I'll insulate and render the dome, attach a chimney and cook some pizzas
4 PhotosLast edited by Tim F; 11-23-2008, 02:48 AM.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Must be a forum bug!
Here's the pics I posted yesterday anyway. I'm halfway through my last course now, then I just have to get together a keystone and the dome is finished! I have managed to correct the tear drop shape, it took some 'interesting' brickwork though.2 Photos
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Lol, I thought it was just me....I got the same mail twice...felt really loved there for a minute ..lol
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
That's weird, a few posts from yesterday disappeared!
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
It's looking great Tim! Keep those photos coming. Inquiring minds what to see!
Travis
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
You must be almost tasting pizza Tim........your that close
We are hoping this yukky weather clears for the weekend so we can work in the WFO area. Would be great to get the boxing done for the slab pour.
Your going great guns ! Thanks for the progress report, I love seeing them come together.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
No worries!
Lee - it really is that easy. I work in an office and I'm not any more of a handyman around the house than anyone else. You just put one brick on top of another until it's done
I went hard today and managed to get the next 1.5 courses up before it was too dark to see (these photo's were taken at 1/8th second at ISO 1000). I took out the ball head as it was just getting too fiddly, and now I'm using the trusty piece of string tied to a nail in the center. This is definitely the easiest method I can think of - you tie a knot to mark where the inside of the brick should be, and hold the string tight against the top of the brick to check that it's at the right angle.3 Photos
Leave a comment:





Leave a comment: