Originally posted by Tim F
View Post
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Tims oven - early days!
Collapse
X
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Smart. A removable extra layer! It will change your door opening to height ratio, I'm not sure how bad that would be, really. Give it a thought, anyway. Or maybe just make the opening a little on the short side to start with?
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
That would definitely look great wouldn't it! But the bricks are actually wider than twice the depth, so that would give me even more mass. They are 112 wide by 230 long by 50 deep (mm) so 4.5 x 9 x 2 inches (approx). So I could go with a single layer for 2 inches floor depth, a double layer for 4 inches, or on their sides for 4.5 inches.
I'm leaning towards laying the first layer, then the first course of the dome, and then cutting the second layer to fit inside the dome - so it will be 4 inch with the option to remove the second layer if it turns out that I don't like the extra mass.Last edited by Tim F; 11-01-2008, 03:08 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
I think you should lay the hearth bricks on their sides. Because firstly it'll work really well, and secondly it would just look sooo cool! Just immagine, herringbone pattern with thinner shapes... lovely!
You'd be the first person to do it like that, but don't let that put you off... it would work and it would give you some extra mass (specially considering your bricks are a bit smaller). Who knows, you might even start a new fashion.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Hi Tim,
as your hearth bricks are 50mm thick and you want to bake multiple batches of bread, I think that you could get away with the single layer, but a better heat retention with a thicker layer of mortar beneath them for thermal mass.
If you want to follow in Russell Jeavons shoes, his oven has two layers of fired clay 50mm pavers and we in Adelaide know how good and successful his oven(s) is/are!
Allow that little extra height on your soldier bricks and a little down the track, if needs be, you can always add a second layer. All yo need to do is maintain your floor level but you would also reduce your arch height if you wait till later.
Play it safe and put a second layer of hearth pavers in now and use a little more wood and a little extra time to heat it up.
Decissions, decissions, life is full of them. Building a WFO only adds to the ones we need to make the correct choice.
Neill
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Looks very good Tim.
The bricks I picked up yesterday are about 60mm (2.5"). Yours sound a little small, though others here have used similar fire bricks.
I think you would be fine with a single layer even at 50mm. If you really do want the extra mass, you could do your floor with bricks on their side instead of lying down flat, or you could double them as you suggested, or you could pour a layer of refractory concrete (or the fireclay/lime mortar) on top of your insulating layer. I am not sure what the heat capacity is for the fireclay lime mortar though.
I would just lay the floor with the bricks on their sides if you want more mass. I am thinking that 60mm will be thick enough on mine.
Cheers,
Travis
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
I took off the insulation forms today - the wood screws just unscrewed with no problems. It's very strange stuff, feels kind of rubbery. I think it still has some setting to do. I set up the forms for the landing insulation and poured that - annoyingly I was juuust short, so the landing is a couple of mm lower. I think I'll be able to make up the difference with a light mortar of lime and fireclay.3 Photos
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - on the way
Hi Tim
Started my 36" pompei oven yesterday
Joined as a card holding member today and will be watching your progress with much interest
Cheers
Grant ...Norton Summit S.A.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
So, time to start thinking about the floor. I picked up some nice bricks today for 55c each - they are 70% firebrick material apparently. They are 50mm thick, and I was thinking of using a double layer. Will this be too much mass? The alternative would be a single layer with a thicker layer of fireclay+lime mortar underneath. I'm not too fussed if it's a *little* more mass than usual as I'd like to be able to do 2 loads of bread if I want to occasionally. Any thoughts?
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Cheers! I am pretty happy with it too.. it will almost be a shame to cover it up
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
The ingenuity to the people on the forum just never ceases to amaze me
Looking good Tim. I particularly like the way your arch turned out now that you poured the triangles bits and it has cured. Very nice.
Travis
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Good idea actually, but but the time I saw it I'd already got the bits for the first option! I picked up a sheet of the thinnest plywood I could find, and cut it into 10mm strips. I fixed them together with short self tapping wood screws, hopefully they will just screw out once the insulation is set. I decided to pour the insulation in 2 parts, which meant I could use a circle form - much easier and stronger as the force of the insulation pressing outwards should be equal on all parts of the form.
I set up the form tonight and poured the first part of the insulation. To get it placed correctly, I measured and marked out a * on the slab, centered on where I wanted the middle of the dome. Then I marked out the radius of the outer dome along each leg of the star, and put a brick at each point. I made sure the circular form was the right circumference and placed it so that it butted up against each brick. Then I used more bricks to line it to make sure it was held in place.
The insulation I used, 'Coolcast' was interesting to work with. Not too bad but similar to what I imagined verm-crete would be like but finer grained. I managed to get it pretty level, and now it's under a tarp for the night as we're getting a sprinkle of rain.
Off to look at pavers for the floor in the morning!3 PhotosLast edited by Tim F; 10-31-2008, 04:19 AM.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Tim, I was thinking a little more about how I might do this. If you have a couple of pieces of plywood around, you could cut them like the attached (sorry, I am not much of a sketchup artist), then run the masonite around the inside.
I would lay one piece down on the hearth slab, determine the highest point with a level, attach the masonite there, the attach the rest of the masonite using a level to make sure you resulting form is dead level. Then just use bits of wood to space the second piece of plywood above the first, and tack it all together.
Just an idea, but it should help prevent any bow in the forms, not that anybody will ever see it anyway!
Travis1 Photo
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Excellent, thanks for the pic! I will see if I can find some masonite this week.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Tim, here is what I was talking about. This is how Dave did it:
Travis
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Tims oven - early days!
Tim,
The hearth slab looks great, and I would never have even noticed a 2-3mm bow!
One way to do curved forms, or even round forms, is to cut a stip of masonite with a width the depth that you want your pour. Then build a rectangular or square lumber frame, shorter than the width of your masonite. Curve the masonite strip around inside the lumber till you get it like you want it, attach it to the lumber at the points where it touches, the add more bits of lumber in the voids to support the rest of it. Hard to put into words. I will see if I can find one of the pictures I have seen.
Travis
Leave a comment:





Leave a comment: