Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Corner Casa 110 installation

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
    I hate it when you run out with so little to go! I did that over and over when building my oven with the mortar. I don't think I ever got it to work out evenly!
    So true! On the second coat of stucco I thought it was going to happen again. But by carefully scraping out every last bit from the mixer and wheel barrow I had just enough.

Just take your time finding what you want for the front- it will come to you eventually.
    Lot of choices out there, something always seems not quite right -- size, color, etc. We thought the one below might work but it's a bit too small.

Comment

Second coat of stucco is now on and the paving stones replaced.

Misting the stucco every few hours to help it cure, hence the mottled color on the stucco.

Next step is to construct the plank door for the wood storage area and figure out where to store the tools. Perhaps a metal tool hanging system on the wall or oven side?? Any ideas?

Comment

I think it was Les who brilliantly used something originally designed to hang garden tools on a garage wall. Something like that would work really well on the garden wall.

Beautiful installation! Do you have any tips for working with the metal studs? I'm toying around with a design idea that would necessitate using metal studs, but I've never used the product or even seen it used in person.
        Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by Modthyrth View Post
          Do you have any tips for working with the metal studs? I'm toying around with a design idea that would necessitate using metal studs, but I've never used the product or even seen it used in person.
          I read some brief instructions online (Using Steel Studs: About Steel Studs), paid a visit to Lowes to pick up the aviation snips, sheet metal (duckbill) pliers, and studs, and then just got to work.

They are really quite easy to work with. Two tips: wear gloves and get a metal cutting blade for your circular saw -- it is *much* easier than cutting every stud with the snips!

Comment

It really is looking Great! It looks like you have room you could hang tools on the front on either side of the door, but the garden wall or even the side walls of the oven are other possible options. Very nice work!

Travis
            TravisNTexas

Comment

No more construction progress, but we did have a pizza making session.

Pictured below is a "local" pizza - flour milled in town, basil and oregano from the garden, home cured olives from our trees, local olive oil.

We tried dough made from Caputo flour in the same session. While the local flour was quite acceptable, the Caputo flour beat it hands down in ease of dough handling and flavor. Much easier to get a nice thin crust with the Caputo flour, the local bread flour was much less stretchable and silky. It kept on wanting to shrink back into the original dough ball

Comment

Hi, I love this design. Could you tell me how you affixed the angle iron across the opening and as a support for the slab?
                Thanks!
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by eyepatch View Post
                  Hi, I love this design. Could you tell me how you affixed the angle iron across the opening and as a support for the slab?
                  The angle iron is just resting on the concrete block. I positioned them so that one side of the iron rests on the top of the blocks and the other fits in the gap between the blocks. Then I just placed the hardibacker on top of the angle iron with plenty of overlap onto the blocks too.

The angle iron on the front entry is just resting on top of the blocks too. Once you pour the slab nothing is going to move!

Comment

nice design, any shots of the roof from the top?, I am interested in how its sloped. The corner installation makes the roof lines tricker

Comment

Originally posted by tifosi View Post
                      nice design, any shots of the roof from the top?, I am interested in how its sloped. The corner installation makes the roof lines tricker
                      Here's a shot from above and behind. You are right, the roof lines are indeed tricky with a corner installation.

I've also included a shot of the medallion we settled on for the chimney, as well as shot of the overall oven now that it is painted to match the wall.

Wood storage door and tool hanger are still on the "to do" list

Comment

thanks, that is helpful, I assume you pitched that top part ever so slightly, did you use the ice shield waterproof stuff under your roof

Comment

Originally posted by tifosi View Post
                          thanks, that is helpful, I assume you pitched that top part ever so slightly, did you use the ice shield waterproof stuff under your roof
                          Yes, the top is very slightly sloped and no water pools there.

We did not use anything like Grace Ice Shield -- I think that is intended for plywood roof decks.

I just used concrete board, two coats of stucco, and elastomeric paint.

Comment

Hint to the unwary - if you use the Grace roof detail membrane, don't use it in full sun or hot weather. Sticks to it's self unretrievably. Otherwise great stuff - I used it instead of the underlayer flashing where my chimney came through the roof.
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                            X