• Show
Clear All

Re: Florida Igloo

great looking oven! congrats!
    my work in progress:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=1031

Comment

OK-finally done with the brick. Still have to do the landing though which will be out of precast colored concrete. I have been experimenting with different mixes and colors. I will update everyone on how that goes a little later.

Lee
      Lee

See my oven thread at : http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...gloo-5702.html

Comment

Here are the latest pictures with the smoker box door in place and pavers completed.

Lee
        Lee

Comment

Nice work lee,

(I'm sure everyone is wondering this)

Where/how did you run your smoke from the box to the oven?

Does it come up through the floor of the oven?
          -------------------------------------------
          My 2nd Build:
          Is here

Comment

That's very cool. I like that a lot.

Now, about the smoke and hot air...
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Forget the oven, that's a neat smoker!!!

...Actually, the whole set up/combo looks great!!!
              George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Well you might notice an opening in the CMU structural wall in the back of the smoker box, that goes into a hollow cell, where I blocked out an opening in the concrete at the hearth. I then left an opening in the inner oven brick wall where I have a removable fire brick - put it in when making pizza and pull it out when I am smoking some ribs.

I've attached a picture that illustrates it pretty well.
                Lee

Comment

Hey....
                  Very Impressive Build..

Cheers
                  Mark

Comment

I wish I had thought of this . Yet another idea I plan to steal if/when I build another oven , my upgrade list is getting pretty extensive.

RT

Comment

Lee i just looked over the entire thread. I have to say i am impressed with your over all design and attention to detail. Nice looking work sir.

Are you currently using it or still in the final finishing stage?

Comment

<Bookmarks thread>

Nice job!
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                        [/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. It's been a lot of work. My wife has just about had it with the whole thing but I think she'll get over it.

I just finished the pouring the last of the concrete counter weekend before last. That last peice was the landing section and I precasted it upside down so the surface would be ultra smooth. I want it to set up for about two weeks before I move it so I plan to post some updated pics then. All that is really left to do now is the tile band but most of the heavy work is done.

I also did a cool prep table out of granite that isn't in any of the pictures here but I will post pics of that also soon.

I've cooked in it several times and I'm really starting to get the hang of the pizzas. My next meal I plan on smoking a brisket. I haven't used the smoker a whole lot yet so I need to practice.

Lee
                          Lee

Comment

Sorry to bring up a old thread but i absolutely love this build. Can you share what you used to flue the smoke to the oven. Do you have any pictures? how often do you find yourself using the smoker box, and this is for cold smoking right?
                            Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Thanks for the love V-wiz. Go back to post number 67 in the thread and you can see it pretty clearly. I basically blocked out an opening in the structural concrete hearth above one of the empty cells in the CMU. I then cut a hole in in the side of where the smoker box was going to be located. I also left a hole in the inner oven dome where I have an un-mortared brick that can be removed when I want to smoke something in the oven. The 90 degree transition between the structural hearth base and the oven wall is just a valley formed out of the cement perlite mix which I skimmed with high temp mortar. On top of that valley is a couple of fire bricks cut lengthwise to make a "leave-in-place" top form which I covered with more perlite concrete. That left a tunnel for the smoke below. I then just insulated the rest of the dome to the top in stages as I brought up the brick on the outer dome.
                              Lee

Comment

"Generate the fires of hell" is one of the best quotes I've seen in the forum. LOL!

Comment

Working...
                                X