The start of my brick oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The start of my brick oven

We started this project (concrete oasis patio) in oct. The patio is 888 sq. ft big and is raised out of the ground 32 inches . the walls are built using ICF forms and concrete on full spread footers below the frost line. We will stamp the floor and walls on the patio in concrete. Now the brick oven- we built a raised area (42 inches off finished patio height) to start the oven . We then did our insulation coat on top of this new pad. We laid the floor in fire mortar in a running bond, then stood the first course up and parcged. Came back the next day and made a sand some on the floor to run our dome on to. We ran the dome up and parged with a inch of fire mortar. We added 4 inches of vermiculite and concrete mix to insulate and wrapped it with waterproof cement. We are going to build an overstructure out of block around this and stucco and add some type of roman decoration to finish so stay tuned, it may take awhile as it is getting cold here in the north so we will have to pick our days

Re: The start of my brick oven

ConcreteOasis,

That is a good looking oven!

Have you completed the curing fires, and how is the cooking going?

Is this oven part of a larger kitchen project?

Keep the pictures coming!

JED

Comment

it has been curing for the past week and tommorow will be the first fire. This patio is going to have a large polished top bar area with outdoor grill and of course plenty of room for making pizzas. Next sat. is our annual holiday party and we will be making pizzas can not wait!

Comment

here are some of the beginings of our backyard concrete oasis. more pics will follow as progress does. it will be slow as it is becoming winter here in the north. Also a couple of pics of a finished concrete oasis we did during this season with a fire pit

Comment

Concrete Oasis,

Looks great!!

Did you have any trouble getting your oven construction supplies in your area??

Comment

thanks guys, as far as local materials we have a great supplier that has everything we need , first fire just started will get pics up later

Comment

Nice!!! how did you make your capstones!!! I need to make some stair treads in the near future.

Christo
              My oven progress -
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
              sigpic

Comment

We use ICF concrete walls and pour the caps with the wall color and stamp. let me know if you need more info. All our jobs are paterned after old world photos from Italia. a few more pics

Comment

Your oven (actually, the whole project) looks great and I love the way your stand curves and keeps the wood at a higher level - well done!
                  What kind of finish are you planning?

Sarah

Comment

Yesterday was the first fire to season this puppy for a christmas party on saturday. Got the chambper up to 200 degrees and all went well

Comment

Sarah
                      The finish on all the patio walls will be stamped concrete done in a random fieldstone stamp with earth tone colors. I am going to finish the opening where we store wood with the same arch as the brick oven. Then we are going to overbuild around the brick oven with block to the shape of the base. We will then finish this area with stucco and this part is a secret, we will be adding some roman designs to finish this and to pay ammige(sp) to the pizza gods. It might take awhile to get this done as it is a home project and paying customers get done first and we are in the cold months now. Stay tuned i will post progress .

Jim
                      jim@concreteoasis.com

Comment

Excellent work Jim on all of it! I just love the concrete work.
                        Travis
                        TravisNTexas

Comment

Today is the first day of pizza making. We are having our annual christmas party and we are going to make pizzas. Thurs. night i fired the oven up to temp and raked some coals under a make shift grill top and grilled a steak and it was awsome. Today i will fire it up around noon , get a 18 pound turkey in around 2 pm. for the party and start baking pizzas by 5 . Pics will follow . can not wait

Comment

Sounds great.

Be sure to post some pics!!

Comment

here is a few pics of the turkey- i followed the recipes in the book from forno on how to cook in a brick oven . the first pics is the bird prepared ( notice the concrete countertop its on) the next is the bird in the brick oven, and the last pic the bird is carved in the right hand corner. that is the only pic i have of it finished. now to post pics of our first pizzas

Comment

Working...
                              X