X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fremen325
    replied
    Re: Our Wood fire Oven in Mexico

Perhaps you could remove your current cooking floor bricks and pour castable refractory cement floor. This would create a monolithic slab which I would think would be helpful in a commercial oven. Perhaps you could hit it with a diamond grinder or a sander to really smooth it out once it has cured? Of course, it will take some time for the cement to cure so it may not be the best choice if you are using the oven every night for the restaurant.

Leave a comment:

• Rojo Vivo
    replied

Hi...it's been a while since I've been on here,,, we have had our oven now for seven years and the floor now needs to be replaced....the bricks have deteriated greatly . We use it five nights a week all night long for our restaurant and I don't think the bricks were of great quality. Please help....

Leave a comment:

• beachbaby
    replied

Originally posted by Rojo Vivo View Post
    We are turning our old cement cistern into our wood fire stove. We had some trouble finding perilite here in Mexico but it finally arrived today. We will pour our insulated floor this afternoon finally.
    My husband and I are building a home in Tulum Mexico and have planned a pizza oven in the backyard. We were excited to see your oven! We think it is going to look great when finished. Would love to see more pictures. Where did you purchase the oven? Did you purchase it there in Merida or in the states and have it shipped? Hope to here back from you soon. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

Excellent! Congratulations on your oven and your restaurant! Beautiful!

Drake

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

That is fabulous. What a great decision to use sistern -- it looks great!
    James

Leave a comment:

• Rojo Vivo
    replied

Well we are all done building our woodfire oven and are now open for buisness. Rescoldos Mediterranean Bistro has been open for 3 weeks now and we have been really busy!!!! Anyone living or visiting Merida Mexico, we would love for you come and try one of our delicious pizzas or calzones. I have posted some more photos of our oven and our pizzas, everything turned out great!!!! Keeping the old cement water sistern and turning it into our woodfire oven was the best idea we had and everyone loves the way it turned out, it's the center of attraction at our restaurant!!!!

Leave a comment:

• carloswlkr
    replied

well done! felicitaciones!

Leave a comment:

• berryst
    replied

very very cool

Leave a comment:

• Mitchamus
    replied

wow that look's awesome... & a great use for an old cistern instead of landfill..

Leave a comment:

• Rojo Vivo
    replied

Well hee we are, almost done our oven. All that is left is the paint the facade and we will be ready to have our first pizza this weekend. Very excited!!!! We are so happy that we kept the old cement water cistern that was in the courtyard of our house when we bought it. It made a wonderful facade for our woodfire oven even thought it was a lot harder to build it from the inside out. I will post the pictures of it all finished soon.

Soon we will be opening up Rescoldo Meditteranean Bistro and cooking up a storm of delicious food in our wood fire oven. If anyone is even visiting Merida Mexico, please stop by for a pizza!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Rojo Vivo
    replied

Here are a couple more pictures of our oven in progress. Boy it sure is hard to do it in the cistern, not too much room to move around and you can't stand up straight either. We have finished the dome and the arched opening finally. next step is to put on the vent and pipe. Hopefully this weekend we can pour in the perilite and close up the cistern around the oven. Post more pics soon!!

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

You can clean your brick with muriatic acid, but be careful in an enclosed area like that: the fumes can be deadly. Follow instructions carefully, particularly about diluting the stuff. First try scrubbing your brick surface with another brick and water, if your mortar isn't too old it should come right off.

If you're going to fill that cistern with vermiculite you may have the best insulated oven ever! Remember, it leaks out of the tiniest opening.

Leave a comment:

• Rojo Vivo
    replied

We are all finished the dome but there are a few gaps inside the oven. Is this a problem, we have lots of insulated cement on it and a thick layer of vermiculite. We are also going to fill up the rest of the cistern with loose vermiculite? Please any suggestions would be of great help. Also what should we clean our oven floor with to get the bit of cement of of it or should we worry about it?

Leave a comment:

• Rojo Vivo
    replied

Here are some new photos of our WFO. It's a little difficult working inside of the cistern but it's turning out pretty good!We are getting closer to the top of the dome!!!

Leave a comment:

• Rojo Vivo
    replied

Not to worry, it does not freeze here in Merida Mexico, it's pretty hot and humid all the time!!! We supported the cement base in the cistern with cement blocks and drilled holes in the sides of the cistern and inforced it with lots of rebar. We then poured , I think a 6" slab of cement the then ontop of that a 4" layer of perilite and cement for the insulating floor. It's New's Years day today we are laying the brick floor, very excited!!!I will post sopme new photos later today. "Feliz Ano Neuvo"!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X