X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salv B
    replied
    Re: Salv's WFO Build

A couple of days ago I was able to devote another full day and managed to get up to the seventh course, including the dreaded tieing in to the oven opening. I think it worked out ok - I tried to keep the position as consistent with the dome gauge as possible. I ended up using the angle grinder with a diamond blade to carve out a notch on the two bricks that were going to hit the arch (see pic 2215) and then put in a small keystone between them - I have attached a series of pics that might explain it better. Hopefully this is going to be structurally ok.

I have also attached a couple of pics of where I got to by the end of the day. I noticed that by the fifth course the inverted v mortar joints became much more pronounced. And finally, the oven opening arch is still standing at this stage! I hope that there will be no changes to this status.

Cheers

Salv

Leave a comment:

• Salv B
    replied

Once the vermiculite dried out a bit the real fun began. Last week I set out my oven floor and soldier course (see the first picture). The company I bought the firebricks from had some 500mm x 500mm x 75mm firebrick tiles. I initially planned on using standard sized firebricks but eventually went for four of these tiles for the oven floor. I was glad I did this but boy they were heavy and it was quite an effort to get them levelled on the vermiculite.

As I was on holidays i was able to devote a couple of full days to the work. It's amazing how much you can get through in an uninterrupted day - espcially if you have help from another person. In one long day we got to an almost completed fourth course. It was great to see the actual dome taking shape.

I decided not to taper the bricks as I didn't have ready access to a wet saw and I didn't fancy using an angel grinder on all those bricks

To get the angles right I used a dome gauge which was made by screwing an aluminiun curtain bracket to an old broomstick. I then carved out a notch on the bottom of the broomstick so it would sit comfortably against a steel rod in the dead centre of the oven floor. This worked out really well. I have attached a picture.

Leave a comment:

• Salv B
    replied

Hi Himzo,

I haven't got to home made beer yet. I make a very rustic red wine with with my father every year though

cheers

Salv

Leave a comment:

• Himzo
    replied

Originally posted by Salv B View Post
    A kegorator - that would be perfect for our hot Adelaide summers! will have to keep that on the list of options.
    To make it even slightly economical you will have to brew and keg your own beer.. which in itself is a whole new addiction..

Nice job on the stand BTW.

Himzo.

Leave a comment:

• Salv B
    replied

I wasn't sure how many pics I could include in one post so I started a new one for the next stage. I used vermiculite as the insulating layer on my hearth and it was great to work with something so light after all that cement!

We mixed the vermiculite in a wheelbarrow, first dry mixing the vermiculite and cement 5:1 and then adding water.

I wasn't too sure if the vermiculite had set properly, it was so crumbly. But after a few days it seemed to be ok (see the final pic).

Leave a comment:

• Salv B
    replied

I am still in catch up mode with my backlog of pictures so will try and race through the next few stages.

With the oven stand I ended up going with Besser blocks that were made to interlock with adjacent blocks and above. I must admit it was satisfying stacking these blocks (a bit like lego ) and they went up quite quickly.

I have also attached a couple of pics of the stand being prepared for the cement hearth pour. I basically followed the pompei oven plans for this except I didn't use angle iron to span the stand opening as I will be putting in a brick arch (thanks to Tim F for the great idea). I made a mistake in not putting the arch in before the hearth pour. Does anybody see any problems in doing the arch after?

I have also attached a couple of pics of the cement hearth. Once again, while the amount of cement was nowhere near the slab, we used a mini mixer to deliver the cement.

cheers

Salv

Leave a comment:

• Salv B
    replied

Originally posted by Breven View Post
    Salv-

I wish I had some counter space or a prep area...a Kegorator would fit nicley under that counter!

Looking great so far...keep the pics coming!

A kegorator - that would be perfect for our hot Adelaide summers! will have to keep that on the list of options.

Leave a comment:

• Salv B
    replied

Originally posted by Tim F View Post
    Looking good so far!
    Hey if you have room, why not include a tandoor in your design. It's on my list too - of course it doubles up with the oven a bit but you can use it for a smoker too. Links here Oil Drum Tandoor and here How to build a tandoor using a flower pot
    Hi Tim,

I'm open to any ideas and a tandoor sounds intriguing. I presume you can you cook Naan bread in the WFO?

cheers

Salv

Leave a comment:

• Breven
    replied

Salv-

I wish I had some counter space or a prep area...a Kegorator would fit nicley under that counter!

Looking great so far...keep the pics coming!

Leave a comment:

• Tim F
    replied

Looking good so far!
    Hey if you have room, why not include a tandoor in your design. It's on my list too - of course it doubles up with the oven a bit but you can use it for a smoker too. Links here Oil Drum Tandoor and here How to build a tandoor using a flower pot

Leave a comment:

• Salv B
    started a topic Salv's WFO Build

Salv's WFO Build

Hi all,

I finally took the plunge and started my WFO build in early December 2008. I am on Christmas holidays for a few weeks so I have finally got my act together in the last few days and sorted out some photos. I've used this site so often and looked at so many builds that I thought it was time to make a contribution. I must thank all the forum members for the fantastic information available and the great replies to questions I have posted in the past.

A bit of background: I am aiming for a 42" pompei oven. The work team is my Dad and myself and so far things have gone well. My Dad is now retired and is also very enthusiastic about the project. I must say it is great having someone else to share the work and sort out problems.

I must concur with numerous comments on this forum about how obsessive the build can be - it does tend to dominate your thoughts both day and night! It even starts affecting the kids - I was walking with my 6 year old son past an old house that was being rennovated. He turned to me and said "Dad you should copy the arch from that window for your wood oven and tell the forno bravo people about it". Hey, you have to get them in when they're young

I have attached some pics that shows the work done on the foundation. I decided to lay a slab large enough to add something either side of the oven. We saved a heap of time with the foundation work by getting a mini mixer in to deliver the concrete pre-mixed and ready to pour. Here in Adelaide the company is called midget mix. I haven't worked out yet what will go either side of the oven but a possibility is some type of preparation counter on one side and maybe a grill pit on the other. Any ideas would be welcome.

Cheers

Salv
Working...
X