X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmun
    replied
    Re: I've finally started our oven in Costa Rica

When I cut into the light bricks, sparks fly almost immediately, and the diamond bit disk glows red.
    Wow! Stop! Diamond blades don't run hot. If it's red, it's dead. Tell us what kind of saw you're using.

Leave a comment:

• carloswlkr
    replied

I cut another 30 bricks today. I've noticed that some are much more difficult to cut than others. The lighter colored bricks are supposed to be softer (less exposed to the fire in the kiln, according to the folks at the foundry), but the opposite seems to be true. When I cut into the light bricks, sparks fly almost immediately, and the diamond bit disk glows red. A molten substance comes out the cut. I'm not sure what it is, but it catches the light. I'll try to post a picture of some of it next time I cut bricks. I haven't asked for the chemical composition of the bricks, but now I think I will. Hope the Costa Rican bricks are up to snuff! Saw a post about asbestos, and am starting to worry...

Anyway, pics of todays progress in the photo gallery... All for today.

Leave a comment:

• carloswlkr
    replied

I did some work this afternoon on the project. Hauled the rest of the bricks that I had bought back to the work area, and cut another 25. My daughter was anxious to help out, so after I cut the bricks, I let her help with the spray bottle. She kept the bricks moist.

Not much else to share. More pictures are in the photo gallery section. Meanwhile, here are a couple of our daughter playing with the oven arch.

Leave a comment:

• carloswlkr
    replied

That might be a good way to go. Our ranchito has a small bathroom in the back corner (visible in one of the pictures) and the walkway to it is from the side of the ranchito wrapping around behind the pizza oven. We've thought in the past about making an awning over the walkway so that people can still use the services while it's raining out. It would need to extend all the way to the wall with the bamboo, because often when it rains, there's a good amount of wind, too. But thanks for the suggestion! I'll check with the boss when I get home tomorrow!

can't wait to get back to work on the oven!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Carlos - I didn't want to hijack Nikki's thread. You mentioned that you want the igloo look but you get a lot of rain. Would it be possible to extend the cover that is in the pic's?

Les...

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Great photography. The lighting is excellent. Makes for dramatic pics. Nice arch BTW!
    G.

Leave a comment:

• carloswlkr
    replied

good advice! i've been cleaning as I go, but putting down paper or plastic would be much better! thanks for the advice and the compliments!

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

It looks really good. Your transitions to the arch are much tidier than mine!

I don't know if you took it out for pictures or what, but if you don't cover your floor with something (paper or cardboard, etc) you will have a royal mess on it when you're finished. Drips, slops and outright glops have a way of falling on the floor, not you, and not outside the dome. Murphy's law, you know...

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

The joinery at the arch is really impressive!!!

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Originally posted by carloswlkr View Post
    I've also decided to start my remaining layers in the center, opposite the opening.
    That's just what I did, it works out very well.

I must say that light coloured mortar looks very nice with the fire bricks. This is going to be one great looking dome!

Leave a comment:

• carloswlkr
    replied

I finished the fourth chain and the internal opening / arch this weekend. Had hoped to do more, but time wasn't on my side. The arch gave me more trouble than I had expected. Had to restart once because I noticed the bricks weren't lining up flush at the front.

I've also decided to start my remaining layers in the center, opposite the opening. My staggered bricks are starting off perfectly at one end, but by the time I reach the other, the smaller circles mean that my bricks are overlapping. I'd rather cut keystones at each end where they won't be visible, and have a better appearance opposite the opening.

I'll be traveling this week, so won't be able to do any more work on it until next weekend, but here are a few more pictures to share my progress...

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by carloswlkr View Post
    house is OK... and so is the oven!
    Sweet! Great news. We get them here as well, I'm kinda interested how my oven would fair... but I prefer to wait

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Glad you're okay.

Leave a comment:

• carloswlkr
    replied

We're OK, thanks. It was pretty strong, and the aftershocks went on through the night. In fact, we felt another small one this afternoon. It was pretty tragic for a lot of people in remote areas, but everyone I know is fine. We had things fall off bookshelves, a few broken pictures, but the house is OK... and so is the oven!

Haven't had time to work on the oven since Wednesday night, but hope to spend Sunday on it before leaving for Honduras for a week. Will post more pictures when I have progress to report.

Thanks again for checking in.

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Carlos - I trust everything OK? You guy's got quite the jolt. Keep us posted if possible.

Les...
    ^Yeah, that!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X