Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Continuation of papavino's oven thread

Joe,

It's always worth mentioning that. I've been mixing about 6 heaping garden trowels worth of Heatstop per mix. That comes out to be about a quart or so of mortar and gets me through about 2 bricks. I think I'm going to start cutting angles into the bricks so that I use less mortar per ring (See Dino's or Ken's build to see an example). This stuff is too expensive to be slathering on as thickly as I currently am.
    I'm thinking about my arch currently. I have the weekend to "think" as I'll be in the San Juans until Sunday. I feel glad to go, but sorry to stop the momentum that built this week putting the rings in place. I feel like I should stay home and cut brick. But that'll probably get me in hot water.

Comment

The third ring is going in slower than I had anticipated. It's gotten harder for me to reach in to clean the oven while laying the brick. I should have some help today, so I hope to get the arch and the third ring put in place. Then continue my upward journey. So far, no forms. I'm hoping to get by with just the string and a clamp, if I can. It's just going to take some patience on my part.

Comment

Third ring was finished last night. I think I have to put the arch in now, as I believe the next ring will start the transition.

Comment

I've been putting off working on the oven for the past week as the temperatures here in Seattle have been rising. But I can no longer put it off. I'm getting back to work tonight and hope to have some real progress by Saturday. 104 degrees yesterday... Geez, it feels like Phoenix.

* Edit: That's 40 C.

Comment

Nice work. Your dome is closing up fast. The arches will slow you down a bit if the heat wave doesn't. Just Kidding. Do you have your vent landing bricks in yet? I can't tell in your pics. Or is your arch just tied in to the dome and the vent landing bricks will be laid against the arch?

Keep a spray bottle handy with those high temps, (and a cold beer close by as well ) -Dino
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Dino -
              I have the vent landing bricks in already. The arch is built up on top of them, for better or worse.

I finally got back into the swing of things this weekend. The early mornings and late afternoons are shaded enough for me to do some work on the oven. We placed the arch and laid another ring. It was the beginning of the transition between the arch and dome. One more ring and the transition will be complete. So far I've been using half bricks that are slightly tapered. I used a couple thirds in the last row. I think this next row will be my last row of half bricks, then I'll switch exclusively to thirds. I'm at 46 degrees and going up by about 9 degrees per row. No forms or clamps yet (except for the arch), but I think that may change soon.

Comment

Alright, after two days of trying to decide how to finish the transition of the arch to the dome, I think I'm going to pursue the route that mfiore took on his build. I'm going to cut a brick into splits and notch it to rest on the arch.
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/m...html#post41750

Comment

We finished the transition last night and laid another ring. The angle of the ring that intersects the arch was 46 degrees, so we cut the bricks over the arch with a 46 degree cut. They stick up a bit more than the other bricks, so I shaved about an inch off the bricks from the next ring that sit on top of those sitting on the arch. It worked pretty well. Still no forms or supports. That's probably going to have to change, as we're up to 66 degrees for the next ring. We have a slight teardrop shape now, but so it goes. It's not too severe and I think I can correct it on the next ring if I'm diligent.

Comment

You are ahead of me so I`m going to watch closely. Did you make a reveal or door stop at the inner arch? John

Comment

I just angled the bricks at the opening so that the outer arch will be 2" wider than the inner arch. I think I would make a reveal if I had it to do over again.

Comment

Well, I'm getting close to closing out the dome. I am running out of Heat Stop and bricks, though. I probably need about 15 more bricks and I'll run out of HS tonight while I'm mortaring my next row. The plywood rounds that I used as forms for the last two rows are sitting loosely on top of 2x4's. I found that I had to weigh the board down with brick scraps as I started working, as the board would tilt up to one side as I laid the first 1/4 of the row.

Comment

That's about where I am now. How many courses did you lay before going to 1/4 bricks? Did you ever go to 1/3?

Joe
                          Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Well, the photo doesn't really show it, but those are mostly 1/3's with some odd sizes put in as needed. I started working in the thirds on my 5th course.

Comment

Nice Job. You're now down to the last few rows - and it looks nice and circular, too. Given any thoughts to what your last stone will look like? Round and laser engraved with your signature? I wished I'd done something fancier with mine. But truthfully I only look up there when I'm taking the temp of the dome and not sure I would want to look up there while the oven is heated up. (I guess if I forgot to shave that day, it might be a good idea).

I don't think its neccessary to go to 1/4. Looks like you are closing things up nicely.

Christo
                              My oven progress -
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                              sigpic

Comment

Laser engraved... with a 2 carat diamond dotting the 'i'. I want to keep it simple, you know?

Comment

Working...
                                X