Oven in North Yorkshire UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven in North Yorkshire UK

Have nearly completed my oven and thought I would post some images of construction. Hope you like it.
    Construction of base and prep for concrete pad. We built directly onto the Indian stone path as it was laid onto extremely dense hardcore and concrete underneath the year before.

Re: Oven in North Yorkshire UK

Next stage, concrete slab and vermiculite insulation.

Comment

Construction of Fire Brick hearth and start of dome/arch.

Comment

Construction of the dome and first arch. We built the dome by eye without a former, its not perfect but not bad either. The great UK weather (so called summer) is just one rainy day after another, so we installed some cover.

Comment

The finished dome with both arches in place. Awaiting a good coating of fireproof screed.

Comment

A vent section was built on top of the arch so that later we could mount a flue 'gather' that would feed the smoke into a standard 6'' diam flue liner. The oven is built next to a 150 year old coach house so the stone we used needed to be close to the existing material. We used a stone saw to cut blocks and 'L' shaped pieces so we could clad the concrete blockwork, because we could get two faces from each stone block the cost was much lower. ?15 a square meter for Yorkshire sandstone!

Comment

Here are some shots of the 'gather' and the stone construction for the top section. We got a local stone merchant to cut a stone shelf to fit on the front of the oven. The stainless steel gather is made from 1mm steel and was welded by a local company. We made a cardboard and sticky tape version for them to work off. The top of the gather has a standard 6'' flue mount (?16) the rest of the gather cost ?65 to have welded and materials. It is fire cemented into place on the top of the arch.

Comment

Getting there now. Top section stone construction and Insulfrax 2'' blanket. Horrible itchy stuff that Insulfrax. Chicken wire was laid over the top to give the Vermiculite concrete something to grip to. We built a stone arch at the front. Because we are having a stone slated roof we need to fill around the oven with vermiculite concrete so that it can support the roof. Loads and loads of buckets of the stuff and its still not full. Time for a fire (have been having a few of these over the course of the build).
                Hope this is of interest, more tomorrow.
                All the best
                Paul

Comment

Nice nice nice!

I love the stones you're using and the entry arch. Its not even finished yet, and it already looks as if it were a part of the house and had been there forever.... the roof will be the same as on the house too, right?

And very good use of space there. That low wall to the left of the oven will come in handy for putting things on when you're using the oven (plates, pizzas, guests, oven gloves, bottle of wine, whatever).

It looks great, thank you for posting the pictures!
                  "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thanks Frances

The roof is going to be made from another traditional material, rather than the slate roof we are installing a stone slated roof. I would have loved to continue the existing roof down onto the oven roof but was worried about having to use wood lats to carry the slate tiles. By using stone slates we can drill into the vermiculite and use aluminum plugs as well as cement to hold the stone slated roof in place. This will give a local roof look that is slightly different to the existing but still authentic. I have posted some images of the stack and chimney in place.
                    The chimney pot ooks a bit new but is the same color as the existing pots.
                    Just the roof and pointing between the stone blocks to do.

Comment

Wow, is that a ray of sunshine I spy there?!! In Yorkshire??!!

The chimney pot fits right in, and it'll probably weather in no time. Actually I looked into importing one of those English chimney pots - heaps nicer than anything they use around here - but the cost for shipping was too high. No surprises there though.
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Yeah, this is a great build. I love the stone exterior and the dome looks great. Well done.

Comment

Thanks Guys

We are on with the final roof and pointing work this weekend. Ill post the finished oven pics early next week. Can't wait to get her fired up to proper temp and cook some food.

Cheers

Paul

Comment

Beautiful....nothing more,

Peter
                            Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Paul,

Very cool build. I really like the way you have kept your oven stone work similar to the great stone house. Nice looking!

Lars.
                              This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Working...
                              X