Forno Montagna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forno Montagna

Let it cure a little more in case any more cracks develop.. you can patch with the heat stop, but if the cracks dont grow I wouldnt worry too much,, go thru the 7 day fire cure and then put on your insulation. I put on hardware cloth then vermicrete,, let it all cure (while cooking) for 28 days the stuccoed the dome with SBC (surface bonding cement)
    Cheers
    Mark

Comment

Thanks Raffy & Mark. The crack is slightly apparent from the inside. I would say a hairline separation between brick and mortar. I will continue with curing fires and mortar exterior cracks if needed. Can you repair (re-mortar) interior? Does seem like it would do much with direct contact with heat.

Dan

Comment

I would leave the inside cracks alone. Your oven has to expand somewhere so let it. I bet if you put your nose on the outside crack during a smokey start up fire, you wont smell anything. Even if you barely think some smoke MAY be seeping at the tiny widest part, put a small bit mortar on the outside (just to make you feel better) and the insulation blanket will take care of the rest and cover it anyway. Nothing can get thru 2-3 layers of ceramic blanket.
        BTW: the sooner you insulate, the sooner the outside cracks disappear .
        Where are you at on your firings?

Your almost there Dan!
        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thank you man. I am at fire no.3. 300-350. Since the dome had Oct through March to dry I have seen no steam. I wonder if that helped..hmmm. Rain has postponed my cure. Weekend looks good so no 4 and 5. I assume I will need more wood to get to 500. From what I have read I should keep it at the temp for an hour? What do think about when to cover with blankets? I was thinking after the 500. What I've read it will be hard to hold 600-700 without insulation. I am salivating for the tastes of WFO food!

Dan

Comment

Outside, backside side crack has grown larger at 400F. We can see fire from outside. 1/8 inch at max. Hmmm. It shrinks after temps lower. If I add heatstop after it cools, I am sure it will just crack again. Someone mentioned a fireplace caulk you add when hot. Does any know what that is? Is it the right thing to do? I feel that Dino maybe right and just add the blankets and forgetaboutit. Thoughts?

Dan

Comment

I feel that Dino maybe right and just add the blankets and forgetaboutit.
              I agree 100% with Dino, add the blankets,, add the peri or vermicrete and cover it with SBC.... Your oven will still perform well,, I dont have any cracks is what I always say,,, I should be saying I dont have any cracks I can see,, apparently it is inevitable.. It will eventually settle and may even fill with ash..

Dont sweat the small stuff (cracks) and enjoy the big stuff (your oven)
              Cheers
              Mark

Comment

Cracks are no longer visible on the outside. The blankets have made them a thing of the past. Curing fire yesterday of 450 for 3 hours. Crack seen from inside did not grow. Enclosure is nearly roughed in and will add concrete backer board this week end. Will continue to increase temps for the cure. I am really excited now. It exceeds our expectations! Dan

Comment

Hey Dan,
                  Love the pics.. That is gonna be a sweet looking oven... Keep up the great work..

Cheers
                  Mark

Comment

Dan, nice work! Oven is looking great. I see how black the inside of the oven is...and how clean the brick is on the outside. Your vent looks like it must draw the smoke very well. It's going to be so cool when you go "nuclear" at pizza temps over 700 deg and it turns white again.

Also, one more thing about the crack: I've found that it just gets a little bigger when the oven warms up, but at the higher temps, the whole oven swells and it no longer looks like anything but a thin, hairline crack. So, you've probably seen it at its biggest and it definitely wont be an issue at all in terms oven temps and heat retention.

Are you going to be thru with curing fires by this weekend? Have you thought about what your 1st pizza is going to be? You should be able to roast some sort of meat before then as well while your curing the oven.

Can't wait to see the oven facade too. Take care, Dino
                    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

My Oven Thread

Comment

Getting closer. Curing to 650F. 700-750 on the dome for a bit but no whitening yet. I assume it will take a prolonged 700 to start right? The tools came in from FB.

If the rain hold off I will try some food this weekend.

Been dreaming off that pesto shrimp pizza Dino.

Comment

It's been a while since my last post. I have been finishing the enclosure a bit more, building some prep tables.. oh, and enjoying cooking in the oven.

Dan

Comment

After practicing 4 times with friends and family, I invited 15 colleagues from Europe who were in town last week to a dinner party. I needed more seating so I built a 8ft table and 2 9.5ft benches. The party was a huge success. 12 pizzas, they said flawless execution.

Comment

a few of favorites so far...

Sciacciata-Rosemary flatbread
                            Marghereta
                            Shiitake Mushroom & Caramelized Onion
                            Rosa-Pistachio, Rosemary & Red onion
                            Smoked Salmon, Lemon & Dill
                            Pesto & Tomato
                            Prosciutto & Pear

and calzones with anything in them!

Comment

I've been following your thread from the very beginning, starting with your landscaping. I must say that is an awesome hillside setting for your oven.

George
                              George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Wow Dan, 2 months ago you where just starting to cure the oven now you're cooking for 15.

The party and the pizzas look great! I bet the Europeans were impressed. That's a big pizza party to throw. Very nice setting with the candles, wine and wfo looking so nice over it. All your pizzas had a very nice looking crust.

The shiitake and caramelized onion looked really good. I'll try that at my big summer party next month. I've never tried calzones yet.

How's the oven "performing" for you? I like your tool rack on the side too.

Great job all around,
                                -dino

My Oven Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X