Another WFO Ready to Fire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another WFO Ready to Fire!

I'm so happy to be done with the masonry mess and on to the cooking mess! I'm thinking I'll start with my first fire tomorrow and see what happens. I used an air-setting mortar (Sairset) vs. cement-based, and I've decided there's no real benefit to letting it sit once it seems good and dry...which it does. So insulation goes on tomorrow and then maybe a little marshmallow roasting. What I can'decide on with the Sairset is whether it is better or worse to follow the small-to-big fire process. The mortar heat cures, and, presumably, that would mean high heat so is it better or worse to not get it up to curing temperature for a few fires...?

Re: Another WFO Ready to Fire!

Before you do any serious heat curing, you are going to have to drive off a LOT of water from your dome. I'd vote to go slow.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I agree. Go really, really slow. I thought my oven was pretty dry (always covered) until I cured. Steam was quite visible for several fires. Keep it very slow.
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

There is a word for this stage

PATIENCE!

Not a pleasant word either for I know you WANT TO COOK...

But...whenever you feel the urge to go fast, take a deep breath and remember the word!

Jay

Comment

ok, yes, I agree with y'all. I figured I'd see what happens with a small fire and plan accordingly.
          How long did it take you guys to build your domes? Because I was sloooow, so 90% of what's there has been sitting and baking in the sun for the two months that it's taken me to get it built, and definitely has NOT gotten wet otherwise. Can that stuff possibly not be dry? The newest bits are at least a week old, but even that is only the wee little keystone and the top few flue bricks, so a half pound of mortar at best.
          I hate it when life gets in the way of my projects. My weekends are crazy for the entire rest of this month so the chances I'll get down to any serious cooking action before then are slim anyway. I say boo to that.

Comment

If you haven't touched it in a week, I think it's ok to start. Just go slow. Even in your "hot Minnesota sun", there may be some moisture trapped in those bricks. It takes fire to drive that out. Good luck. You'll be cooking before you know it!
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

It's official. We have WFO. Did an almost completely impromptu (ok, enough warning to get some dough made) pizza party on Sunday. Ten people, 16 pies cooked, 99.9% eaten. My guests were kind enough to leave me just enough leftovers for my breakfast the next day. Accomplished the task with my single old short-handled peel, a pointy stick, a 2x4 and a long handled tongs.

Here's a shot of the practice calzones I did the Friday before:
              char courtesty of stepping inside for a minute to get my camera!

Comment

Welcome to the dough charring association of WFOs and Pizza Anonymous!

Glad to hear you are at the "functional" stage!

Bake On!
                Jay

Comment

Working...
                X