my oven build - NJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my oven build - NJ

started a few weeks ago but had to slow down to let the building dept catch up. I am doing a 42 inch corner build with a countertop to the right. I had a back hoe dig out the hole to about 42 inches, had a concrete truck deliver two yards and wheel barrowed it from the driveway to the back, took about 45 minutes for a buddy and myself with my wife and son working the trowel. About the same cost as 70 bags and a lot less work. I have mortared the block and reinforce the cores with cement and rebar. Thats my bocce court and patio that I built in the background.

Re: my oven build - NJ

Off-topic, but what is the surface of the bocce court? I like to play, but the game sure has an element of randomness when playing on a grass lawn.
    -David

Comment

its stone dust now, I plan to use har-tru - which is a "clay" tennis court material but have not gotten around to it. Under the 2 inches of stone dust is 8 inches of compacted pack and then 8 inches of 5/8 clean gravel - needless to say it drains well. I will post some shots if folks don't mind the off topic. also failed to mention, the best way to keep your footings from drying to quick it to get 6 inches of rain the night after the pour

Comment

Hey - a bit off topic, but what size did you make your Bocce Court?

Comment

I agree, give us more details about the Bocce Court!
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

I posted the bocce info and pics under the general building and construction section. My court is 60 by 11 and if I had to do it again I would go to at least 72 because 60 is a little short for good players

Here is the link for those who don't normally venture to that part of the site

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f39/...uild-7629.html
            Last edited by tifosi; 08-19-2009, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Finally got the inspector out today, he was fine with the footings so I am good to start filling the hole back in. After that I plan to do the paver patio first and then finally can start to work on the hearth

Comment

In that one pic it looks like you were building a see ment pond

Comment

yeah, it was a bad rain storm a few weeks back, my house got hit by lightning the same night

Comment

Finally made some more progress, I was able to back fill the foundation and finish the last course of block. Unfortunately I need to complete the paver patio before starting on the hearth slab

Comment

Looks like you've been busy,, keep up the good work

Comment

seems like its taking me forever but with work, kids and other projects I guess its coming along - slowly but surely

Comment

Originally posted by tifosi View Post
                          Unfortunately I need to complete the paver patio before starting on the hearth slab
                          I suggest not doing that. You will spend way too much time covering/cleaning your paver's when you pour the hearth. I had my hearth poured and my island brick work done before I installed the paver's - it was still a pain when I built the oven. Any drop of a portland product will stain them (unless you select gray).

Just my thoughts.

Les...
                          Check out my pictures here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I second Les' suggestion. Keeping my pavers clean during construction has been a real pain!
                            Picasa web album
                            Oven-building thread

Comment

Hey Tifosi,

Slowly but surely is so much better than not at all,, Are your kids old enough to help yet ? My daughter is 17 and actually enjoyed helping me do the stucco on the domes and walls...

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X