getting started!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting started!

just getting started so i figured i would throw up some pics as we go!

Tony

Re: getting started!

Looking good. Tell us about those narrow tinted concrete blocks. They look great.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Scaffolding? This is really interesting. Can we see a pic from the ground? How tall is the block stand? I'm guessing this oven will be used while standing on a deck?
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

yes. this is at deck height. my neighbors think i am building an elevator shaft to get up on the deck. LOL!

the block we used were some left overs from another jo i did. the are 4x12x16, basically a 12" block cut in half.

The design i put together has the deck bearing patially on the masonry below the pizza oven. below is a larger opening for additional wood storage or maybe a precsat statue or something.

i am going ot get som eof the more current pics from my camera.

be right back.
        Last edited by tony715; 12-08-2009, 07:55 PM. Reason: update

Comment

maybe i shouldn't have entitled this thread as getting started. we have been at it for several weeks and things are finally coming together.

here's a few more random pics. i put the insulated coating on the vault today.

Comment

here's a few more random pics. we have been at this for several weekends

Comment

I can't wait to see the deck with it. This is a really cool project.

We often have people post questions about putting pizza ovens on decks. The answer is always "no", they are too heavy - we recommend a tall block stand next to the deck. As far as I know, you are the first to actually do this.

Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming!!
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Comment

here's a few more pics. i am hoping to finish the brick veneer this weekend and get the perlite in and capped off.

quick question. should i get a few low burns in or burn it in completely before i seal everything up? i was thinking this would be best but figured i would ask for some opinions.

once this pizza oven is done i have to manuever the scaffold for the next surprise!

once this is all done the deck steps will wrap around, and attach to the extended stand, i hoped that it would give the effect that the pizza oven was in the deck instead of hanging off the edge.

Comment

I'm REALLY liking this.....I have been looking at mountain homes/cabins for a couple of yrs and many have fireplaces on the deck (worthless to me, I want an oven).
                  You are doing exactly what I want in my "mountain home"......and, as Ken mentions, the RIGHT WAY.
                  Keep the pics coming, I want to see this one to the very end.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by tony715 View Post
                    once this is all done the deck steps will wrap around, and attach to the extended stand,
                    Holy cow, how cool is this going to be???
                    Your neighbors will be green with envy.
                    Ken H. - Kentucky
                    42" Pompeii

Comment

Originally posted by tony715 View Post
                      quick question. should i get a few low burns in or burn it in completely before i seal everything up?
                      Your choice. I would at least get some insulation on it before curing.

It sure wouldn't hurt to do 5 or 6 fires to make sure everything is fine before buttoning up. That's what I did; make some pizza then seal it up.
                      Ken H. - Kentucky
                      42" Pompeii

Comment

Insulation is on, we decided to do a 2" fireclay and portland mix as the vault was constructed. then i did another 3-4" of perlite/concrete mix. the firebrick were cut 4 1/4 thick for the walls. i have left enough room to get at least a 5-6" thickness of the pour in perlite/vermiculite before we seal it up. the next step is to pour another 3" insulated slab of concrete over the oven chamber and then we are going to install pieces of limestone on top to cap everything off. i really wanted 1 solid piece of stone on top but the cost to get a crane in here or type of machinery to set the 1 piece would be around $1K. so we decided against that.

just did my first burn. kept it around 200 degrees up and down for a few times. looks like the chimney draws well. i could see the cloud of smoke hovering as the cool air came in under. so cool!!!

tomorrow night i'll do another burn with a piece of 2x4 and some more newspaper. may we can do a pizza this weekend!!

Comment

Beautiful project! Careful on the burns... how long has the oven been curing?
                          my work in progress:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=1031

Comment

the oven cured for a week or so before i put the insulated concrete on. that's been on for nearly a week.

Comment

wrapped up the brickwork today. going to let things cure a bit before we install the perlite and concrete slab on top.

i should have some pictures to view tomorrow.

if anyone wants to see start to finish photos i have them posted on my face book page. just put a note on the friend request.

Comment

Working...
                              X