Comment

Re: getting started!

some more pics of the build

Comment

few more pics of the build and close to completion

Comment

hearth stone in place yesterday. i will try to get some pics up on the hill of the entire completed project. raining and gloomy today so we'll see if i can get them this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
            dudes...

your dough looks incredible... Nice Pizza's
            thanks, my mom's recipe.

Comment

Way too cool! ....and the elevator shaft looks awesome!
              George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Great build! I too am planning a masonry (block) enclosure. How did you support the backside of your brick chimney? I was thinking of using a steel lintel to uncouple it from the oven.
                dave
                Last edited by DaveW; 12-12-2009, 05:50 AM.
                Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

dave,

yes, i used a steel lintel across the back of the chimney for bearing. I didn't wna tthe brick bearing on the throat of the oven due to expansion and possible lift. I built two small brick piers at each side and did not tie them into the exterior walls. I probably should have used a similar design on the front of the oven. I get some expansion at the front whcih results in some very small (hairline cracks) everything returns once the oven cools. I have 5" from the top of the throat to the underneath of the lintel. i filled that space with vermiculite to help the lintel from getting heat. I also parged the inside of the brick with the same masonry cement a used on the brick veneer. Once the concrete cap was poured i went back and installed brick vents a tthe very top to let any dampness or steam that may want to build up inside the vault.

If you want to see start to finish look me up on face book. i have an album with pics from thje day we dug the footer til' the day i set the stone hearth.

hope that helped.

I just set my last piece (hearth stone) if you have any other questions let me know.

tony

Comment

Working...
                  X