replied
    Re: Another Aussie Oven

... and my typing is not much faster either! I still use 2 fingers to type

Leave a comment:

• Alter ego
    replied

David,

I have already done 2 courses of blockwork and I am halfway there already so It's a bit too late to change now. There is nothing wrong with the blocks so far as I take my time to get the quality finish that I want.

When I have done other jobs like tiling, plastering, painting etc in the past I look at other peoples work after I have finished and I realise that often tradesmen do not do a better quality job that the finish I get. I am sure that the work they do is 10 times faster than me but it is not always better. I started off my career as an electrician and worked on many construction sites. Watching other trades on sites gives you a big advantage when it comes to doing the work yourself but it they still make it look easy.

Although I was an electrician and spent many hours digging trenches while I was an apprentice, digging the trench for the power to the WFO wasn't much faster than my other trade skills. Too much time behind a desk these days tapping at a keyboard!

Paul

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

If you are not confident to lay blocks, use a mortar bed to position and level the first row then use a masonary contact adhesive (Liquid nails for mortar in Australia) to join the rest. Fill some of the cores with concrete and rebar and render over.

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

your working with the right attitude,,, too many of us are in too much of a hurry

Good luck and enjoy your project

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Alter ego
    replied

I made the decision to lay the blocks instead of dry stack them as I was unsure of the finish that I wanted on the stand. I may just leave it as it is or pain them. I figured that this way I would have all the options open.

...and I also thought "it is only 26 blocks, that won't take long to lay"

Just as well that I don't have a deadline!

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

have you considered just stacking the block and filling the cores with rebar and cement.. much faster and easier IMO... you can stucco with surface bonding cement after for full structural strength..

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Alter ego
    replied

I managed to get off work early this afternoon and lay another course of concrete blocks.

Below is a pic from last weekend when the first course was going down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Laying Blocks.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	276974

I have a new respect for brickies! Thay make laying brincks look easy the way they slap the mud quickly on a brick/block, give it a gentle tap with the end of the trowel and it is all straight & level.

But I am getting faster so there is some hope for me yet.

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

if they cant see it,,,, They will smell it... But the fence will keep them out

Good Luck

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Alter ego
    replied

I figured how to convert a Google Sketch drawing into a jpg file so here are the details of the intended design.

I didn't draw the WFO (it was one of the free 3D models available for download) but it will be similar to the style that I want. I mainly used it to determine how it would look on the base & slab.

Name:	Pizza Oven Design.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	276934
    I have gone for the hexagonal base to allow the oven to fit easier into the corner of the yard and to have the smallest hearth slab that I could get away with.

Name:	Pizza Oven Design w-photo.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	276937
    The area will be finished with Red Gum timber decking and I will use low palms or non invasive bamboo along the left hand fence to screen it from the neighbours. (We don't want them looking over the fence and begging for pizza!)

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Rodneyf
    replied

That makes sense now, keep the pics coming and welcome to the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Alter ego
    replied

Originally posted by Rodneyf View Post
    I am interested in what the size of slab you have there. I only looks to be about 1200 x 1200, what size oven do you plan to build?
    Rodney, you were very close. The slab is 1300 x 1300 and I am planning to build a 1000mm internal WFO. I didn't want the supporting structure to dominate the oven so the harth slab will be hexagonal and overhang the base. If i can figure how to convert a Google sketch dwg into a jpg file I will post a picture.

Paul
    Last edited by Alter ego; 09-19-2009, 05:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

a promise of a little pizza can go a long way...... It will get your neighbors to help you carry 80lb, bags of cement..... Ahhh The Power Of Pizza
    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 09-19-2009, 04:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rodneyf
    replied

I am interested in what the size of slab you have there. I only looks to be about 1200 x 1200, what size oven do you plan to build?

Leave a comment:

• Alter ego
    replied

I have to nag him to mow the grass but some how mixing concrete is more fun and he is happy to help... maybe it's the promise of pizza in the near future?

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Originally posted by Alter ego View Post

My 16yr old son, Tim helped mix & pour the concrete. The last concreting job he helped me with we mixed by hand. He is impressed with the technology of a cement mixer!

Paul
    That's great,,, I hope he's still impressed with the low tech of laying bricks.

P.s. I love my cement mixer

Mark

Leave a comment:

Working...
X