36" Tall Man's Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36" Tall Man's Oven Build

It's good to be making some forward progress on my oven finally. When I first joined this website a month ago, I was about to start my barrel vault oven hearth construction. But after all the great tips and advice from you all, I took a deep breath and decided to build a pompeii domed oven. Of course that meant having to get a few more things, which meant saving some money before I could begin the dome. In the meantime, I expanded the sides of my hearth slab to accomodate my 36" design. But the time has finally come to start the dome! And it's raining cats and dogs. So after building a little makeshift canopy, I've laid down my insulation board and laid out my floor. My next move is to even it all up with the sand/fireclay paste, then I'll set the entry way and arch. Thats my goal for the end of the day. I have to run back and get a few more firebricks, a samich, then it's back to work! Hopefully I'll have some additional photos tonight.
    Darius

Re: 36" Tall Man's Oven Build

Very nice. I love the setting against the hillside.
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
      Very nice. I love the setting against the hillside.
      Ditto! That is going to be a fantastic location. As a kid, I spent all of my summers in Asheville - your pics bring back great memories...

I can't wait to see the finished product.
      Last edited by PHISHINGPHANATIC; 09-18-2009, 02:29 PM. Reason: apparently I have forgotten how to spell

Comment

36"? You don't look that short in the picture.
        -David

Comment

Re: 75" Tall Man's 36" Oven Build

Thanks for the compliments on the hillside setting. The truth is it's the last spot I have left on my 0.36 acre "estate" to put an oven. Before the end of the build I'll get some additional photos showing the oven's setting on the property.

I didn't get quite as far as the goal I'd set. I set the floor in place and and the entry walls, but not the arch. Tomorrow I continue with the entry arch and start with the soldier course and work 'till after dark.

Gromit- In real life, I am considerabely taller than 36"!

I got a pic in the dark, but I'm afraid it's not great. I worked 'till after 9:00 tonight.

Darius
          Last edited by KINGRIUS; 09-19-2009, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Re: 75" Tall Man's Oven Build

I am going to start setting really easy to reach goals each day I work on the oven. If I accomplish them and get further, it'll make me feel like I'm getting more done.
            It took me a while to finish the entry arch, but it's done. I just hope it stays when I remove the form(in many a day from now after much curing...).
            I started cutting the soldier course bricks. It's a pain because of the used brick I've got, I have to clean each edge of each one off with the my saw blade before I can measure and cut. My arm is going to fall off! (there it goes- plunk!) I got slighly less than 1/3 of the soldiers cut, but not placed. Tomorrow I will continue the good work of the cleaning/cutting soldiers. at ease gentlemen
            Tomorrow my goal is to cut 4 soldiers, but I hope that's not thinking too hasty...
            Last edited by KINGRIUS; 09-19-2009, 05:14 PM.

Comment

STINKIN RAIN!!! We have a flood warning in effect in my area till after midnight. It's making it difficult to lay bricks, but not impossible. As long as I keep myself underneath my little canopy.
              I've laid two full courses, and about 1/3 of the third course. So far so good...
              I took a couple pics in the dark-

Comment

That's dedication man! Keep cranking it out...we had some snow here today...
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

SNOW?! Already?? But you're not even in the rockies. I wonder if that's a sign of the winter we're in for. Thats my real motivator behind the push to finish the oven a.s.a.p.- colder weather. I don't want to have to be trying to lay bricks in frigid temperatures...

Comment

Well, we just had a little snow...even my Basil plants lived through it...
                    My Oven Thread:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Our first snow was October last year. That was pretty early for around here.

Hairline cracks- Are they a bad sign? I just finishd the third chain this morning and noticed the cracks on the back of the bricks in a couple spots. From here up I will be using forms. Hopefully this will prevent any futher crackings. Took closeups of them-

Comment

"Hairline cracks- Are they a bad sign?"

No, I wouldn't worry about them.

Comment

Thanks Neil2. Now I can sleep. I took some pics of our French Broad River this morning showing the flooding conditions. I sent out a dove and it returned with an olive leaf. LAND! The rains finally quit today after about a week straight of torrential down pour. Hopefully I'll have some better weather this week to continue the oven.

Darius

Comment

hail king, Definition of a crack is something you can see from more than 10 feet away.... If theres no smoke or fire coming out, you'll be fine,,,

Mark

Comment

Holy Smoke! We've felt pressured to get ours done before the rains come, and you're blasting on yours in rains of biblical proportions! Keep up the good work!

Morgans

Comment

Working...
                              X