My 80cm Oven Completed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 80cm Oven Completed

The builders finished my oven last week and after a few firings I finally got to cook in it - despite the rest of the house and garden still being a building site.

It has a prefabricated dome, base and chimney and came from a UK company called Bluestone Water. It was insulated with 6" of 128Kg Insulfrax. I wasn't going to use that much or that weight but the supplier only had a very long roll of the heavy stuff in stock and they sent that instead of the one I paid for!! The brick housing, the chimney pot and the roof tiles are reclaimed from the demolished old kitchen area of our 1920's house (we are having a new glass box kitchen put on the back of the house).

We live in Chester UK and our house is only feet from the old Roman road known as The Hollows and not very far at all from the extensive Roman remains all around Chester. Perhaps there was a wood fired oven producing pizza somewhere in the vicinity nearly 2000 years ago!

I've used it three times so far - firing it with willow logs cut 2 years ago and dry stored since then. I mixed than with offcuts of kiln dried high grade oak from the floors we are having fitted throughout the house. Last Sunday the builders were all over the new kitchen so I used it to make a full English - sausages, bacon, black pudding in a big tray then cracked eggs over it all just before it finished cooking. Smelt and tasted superb.

I've been making my own pizzas on a pizza stone in our electric fan oven for years but this was soooooooooooo much better. The blistering of the surface and the texture of the base was excellent. I've got lots to learn but I'm very glad we decided to build our oven.

Last edited by blackjack; 10-25-2009, 01:34 PM.

Re: My 80cm Oven Completed

Congratulations! A welcome addition to your garden I'm sure. What a great new life for your beautiful chimney. Pretty interesting that you live next to some Roman ruins. Around here, anything around 100 years old is ancient!

Ken

Comment

Great job,
      I hope you enjoy your oven as much as we do. Now, the rest of your garden can accentuate the oven. It will be your inspiration.

Comment

welcome to the club... Many Happy Pizzas

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

Thanks guy - was out making pies last night. Learnt a bit more - one of the key things is make the pizza before you drink too much beer!!

Comment

If you have enough beers the pizza's look great anyway,,,, so enjoy !!

Comment

The pizzas are turning out fine - it's being drunk in charge of something as dangerous as a WFO going full tilt!!

Comment

Working...
              X