It is begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: It is begun

My best source is pool contractor supply companies, pool contractors use it in the plaster. but it can also be ordered online from blueconcrete.com and concretecountertopsupply.com

Comment

Just a thumbs up for Blue Concrete. Those guys know their chit, and have competitive prices.

Comment

Tom,
        I've followed your build and very much respect your craftsmanship. I am in the planning phase and still have a constant debate to whether to emulate your Catalan vault style oven or go with the Pompeii style. I see yours as an easier build, becuase it requires less cuts and should go up faster. Most people on the forums have only one perspective, i.e. the oven they built. That may be the case for you too; however you appear to have gone against the traditional approach to the Forno Bravo group. I have a couple of basic questions, which I hope you have time to answer.
        1)Other than the offset, are there any other design changes you would make to your oven?
        2)Do you personally believe your design is better than the Pompeii? Why?
        3)Do you think you get the evenness of heat distribution that one get from a Pompeii?
        4)Are there any areas where you think your design falls short of the Pompeii?
        Hope to hear from you soon.
        Kevin

Comment

As mentioned up above somewhere, I built the barrel vault because I wanted to use a specific type of vault construction (timbrel arch). I was not really looking to build an oven at all, just an arch.

It is quicker and easier to build and performs well, but it is not as spacious as a circular oven. That said, a lot more time is spent on cutting and forming the bricks than is strictly required by many on this board.

The next one I build for myself will be a low dome, almost square oven, with an asymmetrical cast refractory roof.

In general, I usually recommend following the FB plans, as they are very good and almost fool proof.

Comment

I agree with Tom, I followed his example, just a simple arch though, I modified it to be compatable with the materials that I had at hand, precut wedge shaped firebrick, larger than normal firebricks, up to 4.5X8X18 inches. Like has been said other places, build for what you want your oven to do. I wanted the extra mass and longevity of retained heat. My vault sytle oven is great, the soccer team and 24 + pizzas did very well.

Knowledge, knowledge and more knowledge is the way to go. This forum is a great place, you will be able to find whatever information you need. FB plans and advice are great, even better, FREE !.

Whatever style you end up with, as long as you follow the basics of how to make a fire work the best for you, you will be pleasantly surprised how versatile your oven will be.

I followed Toms advice and made a larger offset to the right side in my oven and it works well.

Good luck and dive right in!

Derk

Comment

I see yours as an easier build, becuase it requires less cuts and should go up faster.
              It is a persistent meme that square ovens are easier to build than round ovens. I just have one question for someone considering a square oven for pizza: What are the corners for? How do you get the ash out of them? Oops, that's two questions.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Scrape them out, same as I do the rest of it. The corners do not make any difference one way or the other, nor does the shape in general. Beehive ovens were originally built that way because they had not figured out how to make true arches, and that is the easiest way to create an (enclosed) open space out of masonry.

Comment

Scrape them out, same as I do the rest of it
                  Is that why fireplace shovels are square on the end?

Comment

I havent found the corners at the front of my new oven to be a bother at all, in fact we put roasting trays there to cook slower than the rest of the oven.

As for ashes we hardly get any, I wouldnt clean out in between 10 firings or so.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

For the same volume the dome has a smaller surface area than the cube. This means a faster heat up and therefore a greater heat loss. Probably not that you'd notice much difference.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• The horns of a dilemma

Originally posted by okn View Post
                        Tom,
                        I've followed your build and very much respect your craftsmanship. I am in the planning phase and still have a constant debate to whether to emulate your Catalan vault style oven or go with the Pompeii style. I see yours as an easier build, becuase it requires less cuts and should go up faster. Most people on the forums have only one perspective, i.e. the oven they built. That may be the case for you too; however you appear to have gone against the traditional approach to the Forno Bravo group. I have a couple of basic questions, which I hope you have time to answer.
                        1)Other than the offset, are there any other design changes you would make to your oven?
                        2)Do you personally believe your design is better than the Pompeii? Why?
                        3)Do you think you get the evenness of heat distribution that one get from a Pompeii?
                        4)Are there any areas where you think your design falls short of the Pompeii?
                        Hope to hear from you soon.
                        Kevin
                        Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                        As mentioned up above somewhere, I built the barrel vault because I wanted to use a specific type of vault construction (timbrel arch). I was not really looking to build an oven at all, just an arch.

It is quicker and easier to build and performs well, but it is not as spacious as a circular oven. That said, a lot more time is spent on cutting and forming the bricks than is strictly required by many on this board.

The next one I build for myself will be a low dome, almost square oven, with an asymmetrical cast refractory roof.

In general, I usually recommend following the FB plans, as they are very good and almost fool proof.
                        Originally posted by dmun View Post
                        It is a persistent meme that square ovens are easier to build than round ovens. I just have one question for someone considering a square oven for pizza: What are the corners for? How do you get the ash out of them? Oops, that's two questions.
                        Originally posted by david s View Post
                        For the same volume the dome has a smaller surface area than the cube. This means a faster heat up and therefore a greater heat loss. Probably not that you'd notice much difference.
                        This debate will never be settled here, it amounts to whatever floats your boat. One can rationalize either design (or any other design) if you are willing to spend the time and effort.

I made a stand for a barrel oven, changed my mind, and built the dome because the (proven) plans were available, along with willing mentors -posting in this thread for sure- who have overcome the obstacles inherent in the build. Plans for some good ovens online are not always free like the pompei, nor, are they backed by a huge online community for help when you need it. That was the basis for my choice.

[heresy on] I suspect that some of the rationale for the dome is folklore, [heresy off] but, ultimately for me, I discovered that we enjoy the long 'tradition' of the dome.

This is a hobby for me and I suspect most of us who read this, so do what you want to do!
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                          I finished laying the brick for the grill chimney, now I am done with brick. Next up is concrete counter tops.

(just finished, still has to be washed down)
                          I seriously want one of these grills!!! You said you work for a company that sells them. Do you know if they export to Australia at all? Talk about 'griller envy'!

Russell.
                          Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Door number 4. I took process pics, but they were corrupted data, time for a new camera I guess.

I did the edges and the interior surface with a mix of 3-1 heatstop/perlite, then filled it in with a mixture of 1-3 heatstop/perlite, then put a half inch of 1-1 heatstop/perlite on the exterior. I made a rib vertically in the center, and when it hardens will cut it in half at a 45 degree angle for a two part door. Ultimately I plan on using high temp silicone to glue wood to the exterior, but in the interim, I cut the shapes into the surface when it was set well.

Comment

I hope 4 is the charm. How thick are your foam board forms? Did it all set up well? I still have a down and dirty two piece, cut horizontal, door made out of a really fragile light fire brick that lined a old ceramic kiln. I wrapped it in sheet metal but it is still too brittle. Why a 45 degree angle? My building cohort (son) is going to Romania for a couple of years so I will be on my own for any construction projects, Gavin (7) is a good helper but most of the time we end up doing things twice.

Hope all is well with you and yours,

Derk

Comment

45 degree angle to control heat loss. The door is 2" thick, 1" plug and 1" lap.

Comment

Working...
                                X