Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aussie oven in sydney

Hi Guys and Gals,

Today I started to dig the area for my 42 inch pompii dome oven. I have been lurking around here for over a year now pondering and contemplating and finally I have bit the bullet and started to dig for the footings and slab where the oven is going.

There is a garden bed that will be replaced by the oven and a 150mm so in the garden bed section I am digging a footing that will be 300mm deep all around to take the weight of the hearth, the oven and the cement block wall that will enclose the oven. Over the footing I will then do the 120mm slab so hopefully this will do the job.

The weather got a bit iffy so worked a couple of hours and am posting my pics. As you can see I am also running stormwater piping so that there is no issue in the corner of water collecting.

The orange conduit is to connect my 300watts rock speakers so I can blow my neighbours ear drums off the face of the earth .

If there is anyone that can tell me what the fall should be for storm water I would greatly appreciate it as I have seen some very wierd figures.

I will post some more as things get started. Next 6 weeks is my WFO time .

Regards
    ikhan42

Re: aussie oven in sydney

ikhan42
    looks like you are well underway. Don't forget to include all the services that you want BEFORE you pour your foundation, ie, power, water, cabling for speakers, intercom etc. It is easier to incorporate them now rather than "hell, I wish I put that in when I built"!

If there is anyone that can tell me what the fall should be for storm water I would greatly appreciate it as I have seen some very wierd figures.
    The simple answer to this is, make sure that it is running downhill! If you only have a small pipe and expect a lot of rainwater, then have a greater fall. If you are running the 90mm pipe then 1 in 15 to 25 will be sufficient.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Neill,

The stormwater pipe I am using is 90mm thats what the house has on it and I wanted to be consistent so I would need a drop of 1m for ever 15 to 25m is this correct the wall is 5m long so I would only need a drop of 20cm total does this sound right or am I confused?

Yeah you are right about the services I had already done that when the landscaping was being done, as for the electric cable I am tapping into the 240v cable that I put for the brick lights in the wall. Those lights are controlled by my computer so I dont have to keep programming them it knows when the sun sets from dept of met and when daylight savings is and adjusts itself.

looks like its going to be a nice day so hopefully get the footings formed and the pipes connected so I can lay the concrete for the footings and be ready to pour the slab this weekend. I am hoping that I will have the hearth laid on the weekend of the 25th my xmas present
      Thanks for that info.

ikhan42

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
      ikhan42
      looks like you are well underway. Don't forget to include all the services that you want BEFORE you pour your foundation, ie, power, water, cabling for speakers, intercom etc. It is easier to incorporate them now rather than "hell, I wish I put that in when I built"!

The simple answer to this is, make sure that it is running downhill! If you only have a small pipe and expect a lot of rainwater, then have a greater fall. If you are running the 90mm pipe then 1 in 15 to 25 will be sufficient.

Neill
      Last edited by ikhan42; 12-14-2009, 02:11 PM.

Comment

The stormwater pipe I am using is 90mm thats what the house has on it and I wanted to be consistent so I would need a drop of 1m for ever 15 to 25m is this correct the wall is 5m long so I would only need a drop of 20cm total does this sound right or am I confused?
        You're right on with your calculations. That will drain beautifully over that distance. You could if you don't have the room, reduce the fall but that will slow the water speed quite considerably.

Best of luck.

neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Ok now I am underway had to do some plumbing work and have now added pipes with connections for stormwater downpipes from the gutters on the oven roof.

I have also had a plumber put a copper pipe connected to fresh water so I can add a kitchen tap and sink. I decided to do my slab very thick (40cm) and have done 4 piers that are 2 feet into the ground with heavy grade rebar bent at 90 degrees that has been cemented in with the piers. I will tie the cross bars of the rebar into this.

Here are some pics I have so far I am hoping to get a pump and cement truck next week to pump in the cement.

Comment

You can go as flat as 2% for storm drain. Make sure you are never going from steeper to flatter in any of your runs. At corners or bends it is a good idea to "T" up to grade level (and cap) should you ever need to clean/unplug the drain.

Comment

Hey everyone,

did some additional work a couple of days ago and was hoping to get the cement laid this week but it has rained all day today and they are predicting rain tomorrow and hopefully clear up on Thursday, as my soil is clay I am going to have to leave it a couple of days to dry out so the slab is laid and a solid foundation. SO guessing will have to get cement truck and pump on the weekend or next week.

Now I am in the groove the weather is killing me

Anyways will post as I get more work happening.

ikhan42
              Last edited by ikhan42; 10-30-2011, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ikhan42 View Post

Now I am in the groove the weather is killing me
                2 years to get in the groove, you must be in Nimbin NSW ?

Sorry forgot the, man....
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                  2 years to get in the groove, you must be in Nimbin NSW ?

Sorry forgot the, man....
                  LOL no unfortunately a bad sufferer of depression and havent been doing good since 2005 was hoping this build will help keep my mind of the other stuff that rumernates in my head on a daily basis.

I am also a believer in doing things slow but right for example if I had done this 2 years ago it would never had occured to me to put fresh water connection in or a sink for that matter. I am also going to get electric into the wood storage area of the oven and wire in some coach lights onto the wall of the exterior of the enclosure.

I have also since decided to do the oven bigger than originally planned 2 years ago so yeah may made a few enemies in my wife and son for f#$%(&^ up the back yard but it will be done the way it should have been done and hopefully get to enjoy the oven in the next couple of months.

thanks anyways

ikhan42

Comment

Working...
                  X