New NC build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New NC build

Here I go, posting the first pics, so far so good, 12 or 14 manhours in so far.
    footings and slab, blocked out to high, lowered the stand I should be cooking around 40" or so looks good. I used some 6" block on the sides I had them and the still have a core to fill, I just filled each core. Loads of great info here and really looking forward to cooking, eating.

Re: New NC build

Stonejohn,
    From the pictures, it looks like you have a lot of Southern Pines that will be used for firewood after the next hurricane blows through! I know, I lived in Cary for 13 years, and lost a dozen large trees to Hurricane Fran. If only I had a WFO back then...

Looking good!
    Ed

Comment

Looks like you've got a good start on it! Won't be long and it will be warmer, then you can really move on the rest.

I just live about 18 miles north on 54 from you. Where 54 crosses the Haw River.

Chuckster

Comment

Looks good stonejohn. This is a fun project, sometimes frustrating, but it will be worth it when you can cook in your oven. At least that is what I gather from everyone here as I'm not done with mine yet.
        Keep up the good work.

Tom
        Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Hi All, just posting some more pix, formwork, rebar, and pour of the platform,
          all looks pretty much the same as others, The BIG news is my boulder got delived 3746lbs, it looks like a giant handprint in wet clay. I'm trying to clean up my posts, to make it easier to follow and to post.
          Thanks
          John
          Last edited by stonejohn; 01-30-2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I did some wet saw cutting a couple of evenings ago, cut the floor and the soldier course. I decided to cut 20 degrees off like "Pizza Bobs" build, I also liked the idea of a "floating floor" not so much for brick repair, but I feel that with expansion from the heat cycles having no mortar bond between the floor and the dome will be good. I am also thinking of a similiar method at the connection between the dome and the arch. Does any body have any idea what a tight fitted cut simply butted up against the arch would do to the overall performance of the dome? I've seen a couple of real bad cracks at the arch and dome connection, would like to avoid that. Any and all help is appreciated!
            Thanks
            John

Comment

Hi All, Snow in NC, I moved south to get away from it, at least only got a couple of inches. It still held me up a little, removed the form and set the vermiculite mix form, just under the hearth and entrance. It was my first time mixing the insulated concrete, at first a little too wet got the hang of it though "oatmeal" was a good likeness. I gave the forms a couple of days and pulled them. I formed up the surrounding concrete and will pour this week. I'm looking forward to the dome. but I might dress out the base first, and wait for some better weather for the oven itself.Thanks for all the info here!
              John

Comment

John, your insulated slab looks great. Hope you get nice weather soon.

Tom
                Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

So far looking good! I am up here in the mountains in Asheville. I know what a drag this cold weather has been for oven builds!

I see why you call yourself stonejohn! Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what are you planning on doing with your immense 1.87 ton boulder?

Darius

Comment

Hey Darius, Im going to put a stone wall and run it into the boulder. I have some others to mix in the wall, nothing as big though. Weather is a total drag, I moved south to get away from the stuff. I'm going to visit Asheville this summer, but I said that last year too!

John

Comment

Cool! Sounds like you have a generous area dedicated to your wfo build. On my 0.36 acre "estate"(of which only 1/4 is flat and usable), I don't have a whole lot of room left to devote to my oven area. I look forward to seeing the progress of your build.

If you end up getting up to Asheville let me know you're coming! I'd love to show you my oven and give you a tour of my estate.

Darius

Comment

Thanks for the offer, maybe I will get there after all. Had a little decent weather this weekend, 45 during the day 30 tonight. I got a some work in on the oven. layed the floor and put in the soldier course, some had said they don't see the need for it. I used it because it seemed like a good spot to start, and like the idea of a "floating floor". Our local sand is a little course but I'm used to it, but if it is your first time laying firebrick a finer sand will give you a little more time before an intial set.

Comment

stonejohn,

I also live in Cary... been here for 12 yrs and this is the coldest winter I recall. (another transplant from the north) The wife and I are kicking around the idea of doing a outdoor patio/kitchen and wanted to add a fire pit or fireplace and I been wondering if a oven would work. Keep the pictures coming and give me some inspiration...... good luck with the project.

joe

Comment

Originally posted by jad View Post
                            stonejohn,

I also live in Cary... been here for 12 yrs and this is the coldest winter I recall. (another transplant from the north)

joe
                            For those who don't know Cary, locally it stands for Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees The "C" used to stand for "Contained", but the way Cary has grown, it is far from contained!

Comment

Hi Guys, I thought the locals refered to it as the Containment Area of Relocated Yankees, and the Yankees themselves refered to it as the Centralized Area of Relocated Yankees. Anyway, This winter stinks, I need some good weather, I'm working this Saturday, but hope to do some work on sunday morning. Joe, This weekend is the Raleigh home show, at the convention center. I built an outdoor kitchen setup, and a small fireplace for the guys over at Greenscapes, It looked like a decent show this year. Last year was a bust, but it looks like they had a couple of nice setups in the outdoor living genre. Might be worth a look. Think oven!

Comment

Working...
                              X