Fireplace Pizza Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireplace Pizza Oven

This has gone from a dream to a hobby to a passion. I wanted to share the journey and thank everyone for the help they have provided. It's not done yet, but the concept is now proven. Fireplace is terrific and the pizza is amazing.

The floor of the pizza oven lifts to become the rear throat of the fireplace. My final challenge is how to mechanically lift the floor. I am debating between a scissor lift, gear drive, or worm drive. Any ideas would be appreciated.

The distance from the floor is 10". It needs to travel 15" in the tilt. It takes 98 lbs to lift it from the front edge.

Mark
    Last edited by pacificfurn; 03-01-2010, 09:39 PM.

Re: Fireplace Pizza Oven

Counterweight it so that you can tilt it with one hand....or two. This is in the spirit of the whole concept...use old techniques.

Make sure you have a way to lock it either in fireplace/grill mode or oven mode.

Comment

There's a missing picture, and I'm confused: you lift your entire dome? doesn't it just slide off the insulation? Tell us more.

I like your outer arch, by the way. Nice design: it looks strong.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by sacwoodpusher View Post
        Counterweight it so that you can tilt it with one hand....or two. This is in the spirit of the whole concept...use old techniques.

Make sure you have a way to lock it either in fireplace/grill mode or oven mode.
        Thanks SacWood Pusher,

I ended up going a little Rube Goldberg with it. A challenge, but fun. Check out the pictures, especially the videos. I just finished the electronics and switches on Saturday.
        MobileMe Gallery

Comment

All right, all right!!!!!

You know.....you may have a little too much free time on your hands.

I have done things like this. I once build a replica of a 1927 outhouse, designed by the Texas Department of Sanitation....I built it out of redwood, but without a basement. I shingled it with cedar shakes, and even put a crescent moon in the door. I put it over my well casing. Just for fun.

I had what was probably the most expensive outhouse replica around....Redwood is pricey. Useless too....an outdouse without a basement.

Comment

That sounds like a fun project. Just hope a drunk doesn't come by and piss in your well!

Comment

Working...
            X