Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

Hello to one and all and a Merry Christmas.

I am a 42 year old single father of a wonderful 3 year old boy named Charley,no work is out there for me so we have decided to make our own wood fired organic bread from our home,we have a large garage and a good sized garden so we want to convert the garage to a bakery and build onto it a wood fired bread oven to be capable of making a good honest,tasty and natural loaf to sell in blackpool,naturally its a big undertaking but i have some building skills and i can weld,i am a keen cook and plan to take a bread making course dealing with these ovens,im looking for advice on building the oven and where i can get or pay for plans-i have already got a free supply of wood as i have traipsed around the wood yards who have let me take there surplus wood stocks on a permanent basis for loaves at dinner time lol.The oven should be able to make around 50 loaves at a time-is there anyone out there who has done a similar venture or who has practical knowledge.
    With kind regards Martin and Charley.

Re: Help

That sounds like a great undertaking for you and your son. I would wager that there would be a really good market for your breads, follow your dream Martin.

Comment

You may want to look for a barrel vault oven instead of the pompeii, but we can still help you with details. Start by downloading the free plans for the pompeii from the fornobravo store. Then search the forums for Barrel ovens or Barrel vault ovens. We have quite a few members who have built these ovens. They generally have more mass in the dome which will allow you to bake commercial volumes of bread. You could also pick up a copy of "the bread builders" by Alan Scott and Daniel Wing. You can buy plans for those ovens I think, but you can probably piece it together from pictures and discussions here.

Drake
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

There is a great temptation when on a tight budget to skimp on the insulation. Do read our plans, whatever style of oven you plan.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hello Martin,

I think you need to compare the round pizza ovens with a barrel oven, for a commercial bread operation.

Our local, commercial, wood fired bakery uses a 4'x6' hearth, barrel oven. See this link, The Bread Lady

The oven uses a massive amount of wood, (1 cord per firing), but will bake 100's of loaves all day, ready for market. Would be interesting to compare performance with say, a 50" round pizza oven?

Comment

Working...
          X