oven door?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oven door?

hey, got the base built and the concrete slab poored so just in the process of planning the oven itself. i am slightly puzzed to which side of the chimney the door wants to go? oven side so its totally sealed for slow cooking? or the other side so there is still some air circulation?

Re: oven door?

I don't know how this would relate but, I'm building a steel dome oven with an inner and outer door....for reasons I will explain later....
    one door right at the oven and another on the outer side of the flue...
    pics to follow as soon as I get my permit straightened out...

Comment

Originally posted by rossyb View Post
      oven side so its totally sealed for slow cooking? or the other side so there is still some air circulation?
      Yes and yes. Many people have an insulated door for the inner side (sitting up against the reveal/door jamb and inner arch) and another door for the outer side (so smoke can still go up the chimney).
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

Typically, the door is for the inner side.

If you want more air, the door can be cracked open a bit. Others have two doors as noted above, but the priority is the inside door.

Comment

Hi rossyb,

I can think of two ways for useful oven heat to escape. One is out the front of the oven and the other is up the chimney. A door on the front can be useful for draft control. A regulated amount of air goes in through the door vents, feeds the fire, circulates around, then exits through the chimney along with heat and smoke.

Cheers,
          Last edited by azpizzanut; 07-27-2011, 11:46 AM.
          Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

An outer door can also be useful for keeping out the elements (and keeping the landing dry).
            Picasa web album
            Oven-building thread

Comment

Thanks for all the advise. Very grateful

Comment

Working...
              X