Crumbly Vermiculite/Portland Cement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crumbly Vermiculite/Portland Cement

Can anyone suggest filling in between steel studs with this mixture or should we use loose vermiculite or a good high heat insulation on a roll ? I see a lot of options.

Comment

You can fill in the enclosure space with the 12:1 mixture. Some have done this to prevent the loose vermiculite from sifting out of small openings. Make sure your enclosure is well ventilated.

Comment

is there any aggregate that can be added to the perlite and cement to help with binding and strength

Comment

Yes, simply add sand, that will increase its strength, but if you double it's strength you halve it's insulating capacity.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Neil2 I did a test and found that 5 to 1 worked best with my vermiculite (size of rice grains) and mortar mix concrete. Any less concrete was not holding it to the outside wall. Can you tell me why this is important ,,,,, Make sure your enclosure is well ventilated ?
            Thank you.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG] if you look at the pics in the link you will see that vemiculite mix at a a ratio of 5 to 1 with A-type cement (portland cement) works well and has plenty of strengh as a insulation coat. the pic shows it rended to the done 5 inches thick.

Comment

Adding a 5:1 vermicrete on the outside of the dome is way too rich IMO. A 10:1 mix is adding as much mass in cement as vermiculite. A 5:1 mix is adding double the mass of cement to vermiculite with the result that you are halving the insulating value. You only need the stuff to stand up vertically on its own because you add a render /stucco layer over it anyway. You do need a 5:1 vermicrete under the floor because it needs the strength there. Everyone thinks that a weak vermicrete ,over the dome, will not possibly harden and have sufficient strength, but it does..

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                  Adding a 5:1 vermicrete on the outside of the dome is way too rich IMO. A 10:1 mix is adding as much mass in cement as vermiculite. A 5:1 mix is adding double the mass of cement to vermiculite with the result that you are halving the insulating value. You only need the stuff to stand up vertically on its own because you add a render /stucco layer over it anyway. You do need a 5:1 vermicrete under the floor because it needs the strength there. Everyone thinks that a weak vermicrete ,over the dome, will not possibly harden and have sufficient strength, but it does..
                  I used 11:1 mix of perlite around my inner arch thermal break and it worked well.

Chip
                  Chip

Comment

thank you for the valuable info., just starting the layer this week. Will try the 11 ;1 ratio. Is the stucco mix you prefer in buckets (premixed) or dry or is it regular concrete ?

Comment

Good Afternoon Mates !

Got the first 3 inches of mud on the walls, roof and back (Vermiculite/Portland Cement) this weekend. Found that 8 to 1 worked best for me. I think my vermiculite was fairly large pellets and required a bit more cement to hold together. A few Questions I hope you can help with:
                      1. How long would you guess this insulation should dry out before adding another layer? It's tarped, loosley and about 50 degrees F outside. Guessing a week.
                      2. I read a few things about the top layer of "stucco" to seal the insulation. Is this ordinary mortar mix ?

I am using green board over my steel frame on sides and a recyled tin roof ! The back is open and will have mesh reinforcement to help hold mortar.

thank you in advance for your valuable tips!
                      Chef

Comment

8:1 is too rich, you have added much more mass with the extra cement and this will reduce its insulating capacity. To compensate you will have to thicken the vermicrete layer. I let it dry for a week before doing another layer,that way at least the weather can do a lot of the moisture elimination for you.

Comment

David,
                          thank you for the info. !
                          I read a few things about the top layer of "stucco" to seal the insulation. Is this ordinary mortar mix ? Do you use anything in between ?
                          I am using green board over my steel frame on sides and the back is open and will have mesh reinforcement to help hold mortar.
                          EatingtMoreFood

Cooked a batch of BBQ Chicken, Apple Spice Cakes & Devils Food Cakes today

Comment

Originally posted by eatingmorefood View Post
                            David,
                            thank you for the info. !
                            I read a few things about the top layer of "stucco" to seal the insulation. Is this ordinary mortar mix ? Do you use anything in between ?
                            I am using green board over my steel frame on sides and the back is open and will have mesh reinforcement to help hold mortar.
                            EatingtMoreFood

Cooked a batch of BBQ Chicken, Apple Spice Cakes & Devils Food Cakes today
                            Stucco mix can be purchased at any home improvement store, others have used fiber reinforced cement also one brand is quikwall for building concrete block walls without mortar. I used it to line my swimming pool it is completely waterproof so if you use quikwall add some vents to let out any moisture that may build up.

Chip
                            Chip

Comment

Working...
                            X