thin edge to crust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thin edge to crust

Starting to get better with the whole process, but would like to know if there is a way of getting the crust on the edge the same thickness as the base? It seems where the dough is exposed i.e where there is no topping the sides rise approximately 3 times the base thickness, is there a way to minimise this?

Any help much appreciated

Re: thin edge to crust

Most people would consider the cornicione you describe as a success. But, I suppose you could take a rolling pin and force the gas out of the dough to get less cornicione. Its my favorite part of the pizza

CORNICIONE: Italian term for the "lip" or the outer puffy edge of the pizza.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Press it out all the way, then sauce and cheese it out to the edge.
      Last edited by Tscarborough; 09-08-2011, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        Press it out all the way, then sauce and cheese it out to the edge.
        That will work. When you do it that way, take care to keep your peel and oven floor clean, or spills on the peel or oven floor will cause problems cooking pizza.

I made an offering to the pizza gods this afternoon when the pizza stuck to the peel and got all over the oven -it was a masterpiece too- making it impossible to cook another pizza before thoroughly cleaning the oven floor. :downer:
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
          thoroughly cleaning the oven floor.
          Just crank up the oven.....
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Try covering the floor with coals, wait 10 mins and it will burn clean.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I had the oven very hot the other night, when finishing off the pizza by holding near ceiling of oven the pizza caught on fire. Hmm nice and crispy!

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                Try covering the floor with coals, wait 10 mins and it will burn clean.
                That is what we did....I was just recommending precautions to keep the peel clean and slippery, which will preclude the need to clean the oven floor. Generally, for most of us, that means keeping the toppings and sauce away from the outer edge.
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Working...
                X