help in southern ma.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help in southern ma.

I'm about to place the blanket on my stove i have cooked in it twice already and it had 2 small cracks that i took care of .. my question is when i put on the blanket do i just use regular stucco right over the blanket and will this protect it when it snows ? id like to use oven year round...thanx in advance

Re: help in southern ma.

Many people have had success with stucco coverings: I remain sceptical. Look around your neighborhood. Do buildings that need to stay dry have stucco roofs?

If you go the exposed dome route, think carefully about the various ways the water can get in. This includes the flue area, the opening around the door, the joint between the base and the dome.

Remember: wet insulation is pretty much no insulation.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by sousar View Post
      I'm about to place the blanket on my stove i have cooked in it twice already and it had 2 small cracks that i took care of .. my question is when i put on the blanket do i just use regular stucco right over the blanket and will this protect it when it snows ? id like to use oven year round...thanx in advance
      You would need to cover blanket with something first! i used vermicrete. about 3 inches. then i tried stucco and it didn't hold up. i am in southern MA also. I think if you were real experienced with stucco you could make it work. I was not and it didn't. Here is a picture of mine

Comment

so dmun what do you recommend i put on over the blanket ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lousdepot View Post
          . Here is a picture of mine
          The render is way too thin, thats why it didnt work on top of the crumbly vermicrete.

You would need about 25mm at least I would have thought.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
            Many people have had success with stucco coverings: I remain sceptical. Look around your neighborhood. Do buildings that need to stay dry have stucco roofs?

If you go the exposed dome route, think carefully about the various ways the water can get in. This includes the flue area, the opening around the door, the joint between the base and the dome.

Remember: wet insulation is pretty much no insulation.
            Nearly all the house on Santorini have concrete domed roofs.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
            X