Pizza Oven Price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza Oven Price

How much will it cost me to build a Pompeii outdoor pizza oven myself?
    I want one real bad.I make awesome pizza in a regular oven and I know this will take it to a new level.

Re: Pizza Oven Price

It depends. From a couple hundred bucks to many thousands.

Comment

So it depends on how elaborate you want it.I am very mechanical and I have a best friend who does cement and has done some masonry.What level of difficulty would this undertaking be for me and how many days,weeks would it take?

Comment

So it depends on how elaborate you want it

Correct, elaborate is proportional to the price and the time.

I am very mechanical and I have a best friend who does cement and has done some masonry.What level of difficulty would this undertaking be for me?.....
        Anyone who downloads the FB plans and does their research on this thread can build a WFO irregardless of prior experience.

.......how many days,weeks would it take?
        Only Tscarborough figures builds in "days and weeks", The rest of us figure in months and years .

Seriously, the time is also proportional. But, no matter how long it takes, you will enjoy every minute .
        Last edited by Gulf; 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

It is months for the whole deal, anyway you look at it, unless you don't have a day job. Or kids. Or a life.

I would say the cost is based not so much on elaboration as how good of a scavenger you are. Mine is pretty elaborate, but I still only spent a couple hundred bucks (not counting the beer budget).

Craigslist, friends, sitting out by the road for the trashman, if you are patient and search, you can find a lot of what you need.

The only things I paid for in that picture are the faucet ($20 bucks from Habitat for Humanity), the grill ($300 bucks), and the cement and concrete for the mortar and countertops.

Wait, I bought the flue caps ($40) too.
          Last edited by Tscarborough; 01-14-2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I built my oven in 6 months, I didn't work 8 hour days, but I did work on it nearly every day, taking most weekends off. I think a minimum budget would have to be in $1,000 range, unless as stated here you are an extreme scavenger, but for most of us (even I got lucky with my brick) but I paid for fire brick and all concrete, mortar, etc. Realistically in this area, it would have taken me months to find the items I needed...if they are even out there?! My final price tag was just about double that first estimate, but that includes the saw blades, gloves, and all the tools, and other odds and ends I purchased; I also had the slab poured, that cost me a bit extra too.

I drug my feet getting started, but I took off once I finally got my head around the project. I had never laid brick vertically. My only experience was with patios and very short raised beds, so knew how to mix mortar, that was about it. I think confidence and common sense will get anyone through the build, the folks here on the forum are terrific about answering questions and if you believe you can build it...you can - with their help! I did - and the pizza is fabulous!
            My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
              It is months for the whole deal, anyway you look at it, unless you don't have a day job. Or kids. Or a life.

I would say the cost is based not so much on elaboration as how good of a scavenger you are. Mine is pretty elaborate, but I still only spent a couple hundred bucks (not counting the beer budget).

Craigslist, friends, sitting out by the road for the trashman, if you are patient and search, you can find a lot of what you need.

The only things I paid for in that picture are the faucet ($20 bucks from Habitat for Humanity), the grill ($300 bucks), and the cement and concrete for the mortar and countertops.

Wait, I bought the flue caps ($40) too.
              That sir, is a really impressive project - much more so because of the budget you got it in at.

Comment

Wow!I am going to start planning.Thankyou.

Comment

Beros,

I frequented Restore (Habitat for Humanity thrift store) craigslist, and a host of other surplus or freight damage stores for my build. I am thinking I have about 7 months into it working after regular work and on weekends and I am still not done although my oven is functional. Cost also depends on what tools you have, borrow or steal. I opted to buy a number of tools because I needed them for the build, at least that is what I told the SWMBO. While it is winter in Wisconsin, start the hunt for your items. Reference this forum for ideas and suggestions so when Spring comes you hit the ground running. I did detail out my expenses and if you want send me a PM and I will send the Excel file to you.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I have about $1,200 into my build. I was not patient enough to scavenge materials

Comment

Mine is barrel vault style but the lessons carry over.

My cost all in was about $1,800. Bought everything except for the pavers which are still serving as my temporary counter-top. (haven't decided what to do there.) Zero masonry experience before starting beyond setting a post in the ground with Quick-crete. Made a bunch of mistakes...most now hidden beneath outer layers.

Worked on it sporadically. Lot's of Saturdays. Frequently for an hour or two after work. Started December 28 2011. First fire was May 2012, and I started cooking like crazy with it from that point on. (Oven exterior was not done by any means but the insulation was in place.) Got the oven generally finished by mid-August. (As noted above...still have not gotten around to doing a permanent counter top. It still looks as it did in the pic below.)

The oven works fantastically well IMO. We entertain a lot, throw some pretty good size parties on occasion, and I've baked a lot of bread with it. In the past eight months I've cooked at least two hundred pizzas, a couple hundred loaves of sour dough bread, pots of braised short ribs, legs of lamb, a turkey, several chickens, calzones, roasted veggies, pies, and a bunch of other stuff at all of the various temps one finds in these ovens.

Jump in. I found the process very interesting. Read this site. Get the FB plans. Read the threads from guys/gals who have already done this stuff. There is a vast amount of expertise on this site and most are willing to share.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                      X