School oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School oven

Does anyone have experience with having one for a school setting? My son goes to a nature-based school program with an outdoor classroom. If anyone does have any experience, where there special considerations because of any fire codes or safety concerns?

Re: School oven

Normal fire code would apply. I work in a school and legally we can't have any ceramic fibre as children are more susceptible. On a practical level they are probably more at risk than adults from emissions from the smoke. Many children are also dangerous risk takers and untrustworthy and those characteristics combined with fire are a potent combination. A cob oven would be fun and educational to build and use.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thank you! I will also look into cob ovens...and solar ovens.

Comment

Is the ceramic blanket really a risk? Its not like its exposed to the elements. Its buried under pearlite and stucco.

Maybe mitigate all risk and just show a video of a pizza oven instead. Ha Ha.

Comment

In schools in our State, exposed ceramic fibre is not allowed because it is considered a potential risk. Trapped between the refractory and the outer shell or enclosure would not be classed as exposed. If children were involved in its application that would be considered exposure.The rules in your area may be different.

Comment

So ceramic blanket OK in a finished oven in a school?

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              In schools in our State, exposed ceramic fibre is not allowed because it is considered a potential risk. Trapped between the refractory and the outer shell or enclosure would not be classed as exposed. If children were involved in its application that would be considered exposure.The rules in your area may be different.
              Yes, provided none of it is exposed

Comment

Too much risk...
                Imagine if some child burns the top of his mouth on molten lava cheese.
                The horror!
                Also a dome might implode scattering ember shrapnel throughout the yard!

Comment

Originally posted by michelevit View Post
                  Too much risk...
                  Imagine if some child burns the top of his mouth on molten lava cheese.
                  The horror!
                  Also a dome might implode scattering ember shrapnel throughout the yard!
                  You can be flippant about it, but children who are not supervised adequately love to play with fire. especially in company with others, they love to impress each other. I have images of a child running around the schoolyard with a burning stick.
                  In our litigious society someone is likely to be held responsible. I would love to build a WFO at our school, but have so far been reluctant because of potential problems.

Comment

I agree. The dangers are not worth risk.
                    We need to coddle our children and wrap them in pillows and bubble wrap.

A video about pizza ovens is much safer.

I also have images of a child could taunting another child by waving a slice of pizza in front of them.
                    Feelings can get hurt.
                    Someone will be liable and it won't be me. Not worth it.
                    Last edited by michelevit; 10-17-2013, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I used to teach a pottery unit around earth air fire and water to 13 year olds. I would get the students to dig and process the clay, make some primitive pots, dry them and fire them in a pit firing from leaves and sticks that they would gather. I felt it was a great learning experience. Because of complaints about smoke, and there is plenty firing wares this way because you need the fire to smoulder without flames, I no longer teach the unit. I have paid off my home and don't re ally want to lose it.

Comment

Yes. Smoke is very dangerous.
                        Stings the eyes. Can induce tears.
                        Tears are saddening.
                        Not worth the risk. Just show a video instead.

Comment

I agree with you that we do mollycoddle our kids too much these days, but the reality is that folk are quick to sue as well. Smoke emissions are dangerous for some people and the evidence is there.

http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/pdfs/woo...ects_jan07.pdf
                          http://woodsmoke.3sc.net/ahha-tactics

It is also the very reason that WFO's may be banned in built up areas in the not too distant future.
                          Last edited by david s; 10-17-2013, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Good point. It is necessary to understand all the risks when it comes to the hazardous activity of wood fired ovens.
                            We should draft a disclosure document and distribute to guests. Its only fair they should be aware of all the risks. Maybe a safety video?

Comment

This conversation would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. The whole world has gone crazy.
                              Over in Syria little kids are being killed in ways too horrific to imagine, while in the "civilised" countries we are worrying about a little woodsmoke or excessivley hot molten cheese. Those Syrian kids would probably be delighted to see a fresh pizza right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X