Thoughts on this oven build...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this oven build...

Hello all, I am another one of the newbies on this site (seems like this site is getting more and more attention).

I've been thinking about building my pizza oven for about one year now. I have been reading A LOT of threads on this site, but just decided to become a member to ask a few questions (and participate in some answers after I have real world experience in building an oven of course).

Again, I have looked over many different ways to build the WFO, but dont want anything too fancy and want to keep the cost as low as possible. I ran accross this site:

Build a wood-fired bread oven in a refractory cement mix - Howjunction

This oven seems easy enough with its "casting" of the refractory cement, but I would like feedback from you folks who have more experience.

Questions:
    1) How do you think this oven would hold up over time?
    2) I notice they dont use insulation, do you think the exterior of this design would get really hot?
    3) Do you think this oven would be able to reach 900+ degrees without using firebrick?
    4) Do you think this would stand up to weather?
    5) Do you think rebar / chicken wire would be needed to hold the cement together, as to avoid major cracks?

Thanks for your help.

Some things about me:
    I live in southern Utah (desert climate) so we dont get much rain. We have a LOT of sun year around. I have found fire brick (2.5 x 4.5 x 9 @ $1.90USD) and fire clay (50lb bag @ $30USD) from a local retailer which I can purchase if needed. My base would be made of cinder-block but was planning on a similar dome to the referranced link.

The referranced link again:
    www (dot) howjunction (dot) com/build-a-free-form-bread-oven

Re: Thoughts on this oven build...

Sorry, I posted this thread in the wrong location. I have re-posted it under "getting started"

Comment

That oven shows 4" of insulation on the dome, but I didn't see any under the hearth.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        That oven shows 4" of insulation on the dome, but I didn't see any under the hearth.
        Thanks for the reply Tscarborough. I still don't see my new thread showing up per my previous reply. If I put insulation under the hearth, do you think it would be a solid build?

Comment

It will only be as good as your casting, but sure.

Comment

This thread has been moved to:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/t...ild-21053.html

Comment

Working...
            X