Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ovens in Seattle

Greetings,

I just joined the forum, I built a small adobe horno in Santa Fe and baked bread for several years. I've just moved to Seattle and wonder if there are any people with ovens here. I'm sure there are! I would love to connect with oven folk here, perhaps find an oven to use for bread as I don't have a place to build one myself. I hope to hear from you soon.

Bobbie

Re: ovens in Seattle

Deejayoh is local builder. Check his build, he can help you resource materials.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Lots of people have built in and around Seattle. I would suggest checking archives. Many people leave the forum shortly after completing their WFO so don't be surprised if responses to PMs or posts take some time (or are answered at all).

I don't mean to hijack your thread but it would be of interesting if people who have actually had their WFOs up and running for some time would report back with input as to problems (or lack there of) as well as a general report as to how much they find they actually use their WFO.

I just returned from a bicycle trip to europe during which I visited friends who have a beautifully decorated WFO that was built several years back. That WFO was built by Frances and the mosaic exterior is still very beautiful and in spite of Swiss winters has held up very well. Here's a link to her build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Hope this helps,
      Wiley

Comment

Lost lambs

Wiley,
        Yeah, I'm one of those who's ducked out over the years. Our oven space has grown and been embellished with pavers and a concrete bar. I used to bake once a week, but now am down to once every 2-3 weeks. Seems our friends are more interested in their waist lines than fresh baked bread . We do have some larger pizza parties though and I typically roast something on baking days.

The oven itself (42" Pompeii from FB plans) has held up really well. A few cracks in the back of the dome that have been there for a long time. Keep thinking I may fill them in, but never have and they don't seem to be a problem.

My main mulligan issues would be typical ones:

1) More insulation underneath (I have firebrick and vermicrete). Probably would add the FB insulting board if I did it again. It does work fine and stays very hot for a long time with pulsed firings, but more is always better for insulation.

2) Larger throat on the chimney. Draw was iffy at first and I ended up with a lot of smoke and stain in the front. I did add a length of stove pipe up top and that has helped tremendously. I think I would make the entryway deeper too, to put the throat further back from the opening.

Over all, I love it. It is our favorite space when the weather is nice.

Bill in Idaho.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
          Deejayoh is local builder. Check his build, he can help you resource materials.
          Bobbie -
          drop me a PM if you'd like. I found your blog about your Turkish bread research. Fascinating. I'm a better oven builder than I am a baker!
          Last edited by deejayoh; 10-06-2014, 03:15 PM.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
          X